Question 1 of 30
Date: 18/01/2019 22:59:33
Time Remaining :
1) Simple folk tales involving common people is/are often____________ ‚ where courage and love are frequent themes.
2) Using intellectual and philosophical language ________ poets‚ such as John Donne‚ made abstract comparisons using conceits.
3) 14 lines of traditional poetry (meter and rhyme) is contained in __________.
4) Dictionary definition of a word (such as ?house? referring to a dwelling place) is __________________ ‚ while the feelings associated with a word (such as ?home? being a pleasant haven) is conveyed in connotation .
5) "In this excerpt of ?To a Waterfowl‚? by William Cullen Bryant‚ What is the rhyme scheme ?Whither‚ ?midst falling dew‚While glow the heavens with the last steps of day‚Far‚ through their rosy depths‚ dost thou pursue Thy solitary way?Vainly the fowler’s eye Might mark thy distant flight to do thee wrong. As‚ darkly painted on the crimson sky‚ Thy figure floats along. "
6) A septet is a seven-line stanza. A quintain is a five-line stanza. A sestet is the second portion of an Italian sonnet; it is a ______________-line stanza.
7) What is repetition of consonant sounds called as?
8) It is called as ____________‚ when a thought in poetry carries into the next line.
9) Speaker’s address to a person or quality who is (usually) not present is called as _________.
10) Author’s thoughts‚ which is a song-like arrangement is the _____________poem.
11) Identify the simile______ what?
12) The arrangement of poetry on a page is called as ___________ .
13) It is known as a __________‚ when a story is told in poetic form.
14) Sounds with similar words ‚ but not identical‚ are called as which of the following? (Click all that apply.)
15) Human characteristics attributing to an animal‚ object‚ or idea is___________ .
16) What is repetition of vowel sounds called as?
17) It is easy to identify ____________because they always consist of 14 lines; a common theme is of unrequited love.
18) The meaning of hinting at a work of literature within another work is termed as ?____________? .
19) If the actual word or concept(such as the government) is substituted by an object that represents a word or concept (such as ?Uncle Sam?) is known as ?___________.?
20) What are the words (such as ?sizzle‚? ?buzz‚? ?bang‚? or ?coo?) that sound like what they mean are known as ?
21) By saying witty‚ A(n)_______ is a concise.
22) When characters and/or elements of a story represent something else‚ it is A(n)_________ story.
23) Poor physical health is used to illustrate the current faulty system of government in the United States‚ and to support American patriots’ quest for independence from Great Britain‚ in the Federalist No. 10‚ the phrase ?It could never be more truly said than of the first remedy‚ that it is worse than the disease? uses______ .
24) Here final consonants in a word sound the same‚ but the vowels preceding them differ and the most slant rhymes (such as ?Heaven‚? ?even?; ?tone‚? ?one?; or ?blood‚? ?food?) are examples of____________ .
25) Exaggeration for emphasis is called as ________.
26) What is Exaggeration for emphasis called as ________.
27) Fanciful or elaborate comparison between two unlikely things‚ is the ______figure of speech.
28) A two-line stanza with end rhyme is a _________‚ while a stanza consisting of four lines is called a________.
29) Please identify the metaphor in this.