Question 1 of 30
Date: 22/04/2019 21:48:18
Time Remaining :
1) The Supreme Court overturned the use of numerical quotas in public university admissions procedures‚ but recognized that race and gender could be used as factors in college and university admission policies . . . as long as these factor was used to create diversity. This is the 1978 case Regents of _____ vs. ___.
2) Over 200‚000 Americans‚ primarily black Americans‚ gathered in Washington D.C. to demand jobs programs and civil rights legislation took place in August ____ and this event is known as the ?March on Washington".
3) Due to what reason did the legislation failed in 1982‚ even though in 1972 Congress passed the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA)‚ which guaranteed equal protection to women and prohibited all forms of discrimination against women.
4) Which Amendment was reinforced with the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
5) Chief Justice Earl Warren ruled that "separate but equal" segregated public schools for students of different races were unconstitutional and in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment’s equal protection clause. In which of the Supreme Court case ______ vs. the Board of Education Topeka‚ Kansas (1954) it was passed?
6) Public universities cannot use race as a factor for giving minority students a significantly greater chance of admission compared to non-minority students with similar credentials was determined by Michigan undergraduate and law schools. Which was the 2003 Supreme Court case ______ v. Bollinger upheld the Bakke ruling and affirmative action policies of this University .
7) An attempt to give preferential treatment in employment and education to certain groups‚ such as black persons and women‚ who have frequently been victims of discrimination in order to rectify the effects of past discrimination. This policies and programs are referred to ______ ______.
8) The Leader of the Black Muslim movement (also known as the Nation of Islam) in 1952 ‚spoke out against integration‚ advocated pride in the African heritage‚ and advocated the use violence for self-protection against racial injustices. This African American man was by name_______?
9) In 1963 an act stated that employers must give all employees ?equal pay for equal work? regardless of the employees’ race‚ national origin‚ or gender‚ represented a significant victory for women and minority rights. Mention the ___ ____ Act.
10) A Leave Act was passed‚ requiring that employers with 50 or more employers provide male and female employees with unpaid leaves of absence for situations such as family emergencies‚ adoption‚ medical issues‚ or birth of a child. This _______ _______ act passed by President Clinton while in office.
11) Issues such as equality in pay and employment‚ women’s rights to have an abortion‚ elimination of sexual harassment‚ and federal aid for day-care centers‚ were advocated by _____ founded in 1966.
12) Army and federalized National Guard were sent to protect the students and address the violence which broke out in response to black students attending classes‚ during the resistance to school desegregation escalated in 1957 ‚ Arkansas governor Orval Faubus attempted to block the integration of ____ ___ High School.
13) Which Education Act ? amended former Civil Rights legislation‚ forbade gender discrimination in education by taking away federal funding to public and private educational institutions engaging in discrimination against women and requiring schools to demonstrate equality in athletic programs offered for men and women. |
14) The civil rights law that prohibited discrimination against persons with mental or physical disabilities‚ mandated that employers with 24 or more employees make their workplaces accessible to the disabled‚ and required that facilities used by the public (railroads‚ hotels‚ restaurants) make ?reasonable accommodations? for the disabled. Which is this Act of 1990?
15) The U.S Supreme Court established the ?separate but equal? doctrine (separate accommodations/facilities were allowed for different races as long as the accommodations were equal). This was a Plessy v. __ case in 1896.
16) An executive order was issued by President Abraham Lincoln stating that as of January 1‚ 1863 all slaves living in areas still in rebellion against the Union were free. It is the known as _ Proclamation (September 22‚ 1862).
17) The first president to make significant attempts toward civil rights legislation‚ and in 1948 ordered an end to segregation in the military. What was the President name?
18) Which of the following are the The Voting Rights Act of 1965 (pick all that apply)
19) An independent regulatory agency implemented ’The task of enforcing anti-discrimination legislation such as the Americans with Disabilities Act’ and carrying out affirmative action programs . This agency is known as ____.
20) What is the African-American woman name‚ who was arrested after she refused to give up her bus seat to a white person In December 1955 in Montgomery Alabama; this action resulted in the Montgomery African-American community boycotting the bus system.
21) The Supreme Court had ruled that slaves and their descendants were not allowed to be a citizens . . . even if they were slaves who had lived in ?free? states and had been granted their freedom. Which of the Fourteenth Amendment overturned the 1857 _____ ______ case.
22) In order to abolish and continually prohibit slavery . . . except as a punishment for persons who committed crimes‚ The ____Amendment (1865) was passed under President Johnson.
23) To prohibit discrimination in public facilities such as restaurants in each state‚ the 1964 Supreme Court case Katzenbach v. ____ established the power of Congress to use its power of regulating interstate commerce.
24) An agreement passed in 1820 between anti-slavery and pro-slavery groups in the US that was primarily aimed at regulating slavery in the US’s western territories‚ allowed half of the new states in question to enter as free slaves and half as slave states. Which ________ Compromised this Agreement.
25) Increase in the number of African Americans and other minorities who were eligible to vote‚ was due to passage of legislation known as the Voting Rights Act of 1965 ended ___ ___ requirements‚ for voting that were used in some southern states and thus greatly expanded voting rights.
26) In order to prohibit states from denying various rights to newly freed black citizens‚ The _Amendment (1868) includes due process and equal protection clauses and defines citizenship.
27) Male citizens could not be denied the right to vote ?on account of race‚ color‚ or previous condition of servitude.? Which Amendment (1870) stated this?
28) What was mandated by The Supreme Court case Brown v. Board 2nd (1955)‚ which followed the first Brown v. Board of Education Topeka‚ Kansas.