Indiana Demographics

Indiana Demographics

Indiana is the 19th state of United States with a total land area 5,550 square miles. In terms of population, Indiana is ranked in the 16th position among all the states of United States. The climate and other factors have favored the increased settlement of people in this state. Indiana is ranked 17th in accordance to the population density. The total population of Indiana is comprised of people from different races. As per the census conducted by the United States Census Bureau in 2000, it was found that out of the total population, 90.13% were whites, 8.91% were blacks, 1.21 % was Asians, 0.08 % was Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islanders and the rest 0.65 % were comprised of American Indian or the Alaskan Natives.

As per the census conducted by the United States Census Bureau in 2005, slight differences in the race of Indiana residents were found compared to the census report of 2000. And accordingly in 2005, 89.57 % were found to be whites, 9.42 % were blacks, Asians comprised about 0.03 %, and Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islanders comprised about 0.08 % and the rest 0.63 % were American Indian or the Alaskan Natives. During this year, it was found that out of the total population about 77.7 % of the individuals resided in metropolitan counties, 16.5 % of the population resided in the non-metropolitan counties and just 5.9 % occupied the non core counties. According to the 2005 census, the average income of the residents of Indiana was found to be as $ 43,993. Around 20 % of the Indiana residents had a median household income between $ 50,000 and $ 74,999. The average house hold income of the residents of Hamilton County was found to be as around $ 78,932 which is much higher than the Indiana’s average household income. The next highest county in terms of average household income was found to be Indianapolis followed by the Hendricks County with an average income of $ 57,538. Next to Hendricks County is the Johnson County with an average house hold income of $ 56,251.

The most recent census in Indiana was conducted in 2008. As per this census conducted by the United States Census Bureau, the total population was estimated to be 6,376,792; out of this, 88 % were whites, 9.1 % were blacks, 1.4 % was Asians, 1.2 % were comprised of Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islanders and the rest 0.3 % was comprised of American Indians or the Alaskan Natives. In 2008, the population density was estimated at approximately 169.5 individuals per square mile. On the basis of the age group, the population of Indiana of the age group 65 years and above constituted 12.8 %, individuals of 18 years and below constituted 24.9 % and the population at or below the age of 5 years constituted only 6.9%. Out of the total population, 98 % were constituted by Indiana citizens and merely 2 % by the non citizens. In terms of gender, it was estimated that about 51 % were females and the rest 49 % males. In Indiana, around 72 % of the individuals were engaged in full time jobs, about 8 % were involved in part time jobs, and about 20 % of the total population were unemployed. Out of the employed individuals, 96.4 % had a permanent job and the rest 3.6 % had only a temporary job.

In 2009, the rate of unemployment had reduced by nearly half and was found to be just 10.6 %. This was further improved in 2010 and was found to be as just 10.1 %. Most of the residents were employed either in industrial sector or the agricultural sector. The agricultural sector includes crop production and the live stock rearing. In terms of ancestry, out of the total population, 22.7 % were of the German ancestry, 12.0 % were of American ancestry, 8.9 % were of English ancestry, 3 % were of Polish ancestry and nearly 10.8 % were of Irish ancestry. Indianapolis is the most densely populated city in Indiana with a population of 795,458 individuals. It is also the largest and the capital city of Indiana. Other most important cities with dens population are the Fort Wayne, South Bend and Evansville.

Religion of Indiana Residents:

Nearly two third of the Indianan’s were protestants who followed an organized religion. The largest single religion in Indiana is Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics constitute about 20 % of all the religions and are mostly concentrated in northern Indiana and Southeastern Indiana. Small portion of the total population followed Jewish religion and resides in the urban areas. A small percentage of the Indiana population is of Amish community. And nearly 16 percentage of the total population were of secular thought.

Demographics of Indiana

Demographics of Indiana (csv)
By Race White Black AIAN* Asian NHPI*
2000 (total population) 90.13% 8.91% 0.65% 1.21% 0.08%
2000 (Hispanic only) 3.31% 0.15% 0.07% 0.03% 0.02%
2005 (total population) 89.57% 9.42% 0.63% 1.44% 0.08%
2005 (Hispanic only) 4.29% 0.19% 0.08% 0.04% 0.02%
Growth 2000–05 (total population) 2.51% 8.99% -0.26% 23.11% 11.31%
Growth 2000–05 (non-Hispanic only) 1.33% 8.68% -2.87% 22.97% 9.77%
Growth 2000–05 (Hispanic only) 33.38% 26.82% 21.02% 28.42% 16.70%

Indiana Historical Population

Historical Populations
Census Population
1800 2,632
1810 24,520 831.6%
1820 147,178 500.2%
1830 343,031 133.1%
1840 685,866 99.9%
1850 988,416 44.1%
1860 1,350,428 36.6%
1870 1,680,637 24.5%
1880 1,978,301 17.7%
1890 2,192,404 10.8%
1900 2,516,462 14.8%
1910 2,700,876 7.3%
1920 2,930,390 8.5%
1930 3,238,503 10.5%
1940 3,427,796 5.8%
1950 3,934,224 14.8%
1960 4,662,498 18.5%
1970 5,193,669 11.4%
1980 5,490,224 5.7%
1990 5,544,159 1.0%
2000 6,080,485 9.7%
Est. 2009 6,423,113 5.6%

Demographic Statistics of Indiana

 

Number

Percent

Total population 6,080,485 100.0
Sex and Age
Male 2,982,474 49.0
Female 3,098,011 51.0
Under 5 years 423,215 7.0
5 to 9 years 443,273 7.3
10 to 14 years 443,416 7.3
15 to 19 years 453,482 7.5
20 to 24 years 425,731 7.0
25 to 34 years 831,125 13.7
35 to 44 years 960,703 15.8
45 to 54 years 816,865 13.4
55 to 59 years 294,169 4.8
60 to 64 years 235,675 3.9
65 to 74 years 395,393 6.5
75 to 84 years 265,880 4.4
85 years and over 91,558 1.5
Median age (years) 35.2 (X)
18 years and over 4,506,089 74.1
Male 2,174,756 35.8
Female 2,331,333 38.3
21 years and over 4,221,426 69.4
62 years and over 888,688 14.6
65 years and over 752,831 12.4
Male 303,797 5.0
Female 449,034 7.4
Race
One race 6,004,813 98.8
White 5,320,022 87.5
Black or African American 510,034 8.4
American Indian and Alaska Native 15,815 0.3
Asian 59,126 1.0
Asian Indian 14,685 0.2
Chinese 12,531 0.2
Filipino 6,674 0.1
Japanese 5,065 0.1
Korean 7,502 0.1
Vietnamese 4,843 0.1

Other Asian 1

7,826 0.1
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 2,005 0.0
Native Hawaiian 606 0.0
Guamanian or Chamorro 470 0.0
Samoan 385 0.0

Other Pacific Islander 2

544 0.0
Some other race 97,811 1.6
Two or more races 75,672 1.2
Race Alone
White 5,387,174 88.6
Black or African American 538,015 8.8
American Indian and Alaska Native 39,263 0.6
Asian 72,839 1.2
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 4,367 0.1
Some other race 119,586 2.0
Hispanic or Latino and Race
Total population 6,080,485 100.0
Hispanic or Latino (of any race) 214,536 3.5
Mexican 153,042 2.5
Puerto Rican 19,678 0.3
Cuban 2,754 0.0
Other Hispanic or Latino 39,062 0.6
Not Hispanic or Latino 5,865,949 96.5
White alone 5,219,373 85.8
Relationship
Total population 6,080,485 100.0
In households 5,902,331 97.1
Householder 2,336,306 38.4
Spouse 1,251,458 20.6
Child 1,801,564 29.6
Own child under 18 years 1,432,898 23.6
Other relatives 229,415 3.8
Under 18 years 100,304 1.6
Nonrelatives 283,588 4.7
Unmarried partner 124,851 2.1
In group quarters 178,154 2.9
Institutionalized population 90,885 1.5
Noninstitutionalized population 87,269 1.4
Households by Type
Total households 2,336,306 100.0
Family households (families) 1,602,501 68.6
With own children under 18 years 767,836 32.9
Married-couple family 1,251,458 53.6
With own children under 18 years 556,113 23.8
Female householder, no husband present 259,372 11.1
With own children under 18 years 160,311 6.9
Nonfamily households 733,805 31.4
Householder living alone 605,428 25.9
Householder 65 years and over 221,538 9.5
Households with individuals under 18 years 834,826 35.7
Households with individuals 65 years and over 524,632 22.5
Average household size 2.53 (X)
Average family size 3.05 (X)
Housing Occupancy
Total housing units 2,532,319 100.0
Occupied housing units 2,336,306 92.3
Vacant housing units 196,013 7.7
For seasonal, recreational, or occasional use 33,803 1.3
Homeowner vacancy rate (percent) 1.8 (X)
Rental vacancy rate (percent) 8.8 (X)
Housing Tenure
Occupied housing units 2,336,306 100.0
Owner-occupied housing units 1,669,162 71.4
Renter-occupied housing units 667,144 28.6
Average household size of owner-occupied unit 2.64 (X)
Average household size of renter-occupied unit 2.24 (X)