The Eiffel Tower is located in France. Eiffel tower was named after its designer Gustave Eiffel. It Symbolizes Paris and France in the world . Eiffel Tower is also a monument in the world that attracts most number of visitors, mostly foreigners , who pay to take a tour of the Tower.
- In 1889,when the French government was organizing the International Exposition for the celebration of 100th anniversary of the French Revolution, a competition was held the for the designs of the monument
- Out of the 100 projects submitted, the Centennial Committee accepted the plan of Gustave Eiffel.
- The Eifel Tower was built as the entrance arch of the 1889 Exposition Universelle.
- The construction of the tower was completed in 2years, 2months and 5days.
- All the materials used for making the tower are prepared in the Eiffel’s factory which is located at Levallois-Perret on the outskirts of Paris.
- The foundation of the Eiffel Tower took only five months and it took twenty-one months to assemble the metal pieces of the Tower.
- There used to be 150 – 300 workers and 50 engineers and designers at the construction site.
- For the construction of the Tower, 7300 tonnes of iron and 60 tonnes of paint was used.
Eiffel Tower Information
||March 31, 1889
Radio Broadcasting Tower
|Eiffel Tower Height
|Antenna or Spire
||324.00 m (1,063 ft)
||300.65 m (986 ft)
||273.00 m (896 ft)
|Eiffel Tower Technical Details
|Eiffel Tower Companies Involved
||Gustave Eiffel & Cie
||City of Paris, France (100%)
||Société d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel (SETE)
Design of the Eiffel Tower
As the Eiffel Tower was supposed to be destroyed 20 years after its construction, Gustave Eiffel built it with a scientific purposes.
- The Tower was used for meteorological and astronomical observations, physics experiments, optical telegraph communications and wind studies.
- From the year 1889, the Eiffel Tower was also used as a laboratory for scientific purposes. Barometers, lightning conductors etc were also installed.
- A wind tunnel was also built at the foot of the Tower.
- The first radio transmissions and telecommunications were transmitted and broadcasted from this Tower.
- Another technical achievement of the Eiffel Tower was the elevators. With the elevators, the visitors can securely climb the Tower to see the whole of Paris.
Tour to Eiffel Tower
- Eiffel Tower has been the stage for various International events such as light shows, the pyrotechnic show of year 2000 etc.
- The Tower also offers a panoramic view of Paris from the second floor.
- The magic of light is the another representation of the Eiffel Tower. When the sunset begins, the Tower sparkles and bathes in golden light.
- The champagne bar on the top of the Tower offers you either a glass of rose or white champagne.
- There are 704 steps from the ground level to the second floor.
- At the first floor, you can explore ‘Eiffel epic tour’. It includes history of Eiffel Tower, photographs, drawings, films and interactive systems.
- The two main restaurants of the Eiffel Tower are 58 tour Eiffel and the Jules Verne which offers both simple and tasty cuisine.
Eiffel Tower has become a global landmark and an iconic image that inspires many other tower in the world. It has been featured in many movies, Television Programs and Computer games.
Eiffel Tower Tickets
|Person assisting a handicapped visitor
|Baby - 4 years old
Eiffel Tower Opening Time
|From 17 June to 28 August
||9 a.m. to 12:45 a.m
Last lift midnight
(11p.m. for the top)
|9 a.m. to 12:45 a.m.
Last admission : midnight
|The rest of the year
||9:30 a.m. to 11:45 p.m.
Last lift 11 p.m.
(10:30 p.m. for the top)
|9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Last admission : 6 p.m.
Eiffel Tower Communications