California Law and Government
Californian law is expansive and can be classified under constitutional, statutory and regulatory laws.
Facts about the law and government of California
- The Californian law enforcement institutions and individuals refer to the Constitution of California for updates or guidelines regarding enforcement of their laws.
- The constitution of the state is official and is permitted to be used as a guide due to its power that is derived from the sovereignty of the people.
- The Constitution of the United States of America is regarded as the Supreme Law of the Land and the Constitution of California, thus becomes its subordinate.
- The California Code of Regulations was established in the 1980’s and contained an expansive set of regulations. It was formerly known as the California Administrative Code.
- The California Reports contains decisions taken by the Supreme Court with respect to various cases it has presided over.
- The Court of Appeal, however, lodges and records its decisions in the California Appeliate Reports.
- Since Californian law places due emphasis on popular sovereignty, one can always expect amendments to take place frequently. As opposed to government processes that styled in the name of ‘the State’ or ‘the commonwealth’, Californian processes are usually cited as ‘in the name of the People of the State of California’.
- Californian legislature designates some acts as ‘Acts’ and some as ‘Laws’ without any clear distinction between the two. This is one of the two anomalies that have occurred due to poor drafting.
California Law Review & Student Journal
|California Law Review
|Ecology Law Quarterly
|Berkeley Technology Law Journal
|Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law
|Berkeley Journal of International Law
|Berkeley Journal of Gender, Law & Justice
|Berkeley Journal of African American Law & Policy
|Berkeley La Raza Journal
|Asian American Law Journal
|Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law
|Berkeley Bussiness Law Journal
|California Journal of Middle Estern & Islamic Law