California is considered a cosmopolitan state where immigrants, natives as well as locals live in harmony. Though the culture of California is strongly influenced by the culture of the nation, it does have streaks of Latin American and East Asian culture mixed in it. Various aspects of life have contributed to the diversifying culture of the state. To experience Californian culture is the best way to experience the city in its entirety.
- Languages: English is the primary language spoken in California since it is officially recognized by the United States of America but the state also accommodates Spanish and Korean. The culture of California is greatly reflected in the Californian dialect of English which predominantly has ancient Californian features. The English language was officiated way back in 1986 through Proposition 63 and it has evolved through the decades to become what it is now. Hollywood, which is the nation’s motion picture and entertainment center, has lent its flavor to the language as well. It has been a hub of activity and has introduced new words and meanings in the language.
- Arts: California has Hollywood, which is one amongst the world’s most respected entertainment producing companies. The American Film Industry is also based here that is paramount in turning the state into a popular fashion, modeling and party hub.
- Music: The guitar is a favorite musical instrument in California and has its own role in enhancing the culture of the state. In 1882, a book titled, ‘Compositions and Arrangements for the Guitar’ was published in the city of San Francisco. It was later re-printed in 1915 by Oliver Ditson. In 1898, a collection called ‘Characteristic Songs of the Spanish Californians’ was released and published as Canciones del Pais de California. The state is also home to some of the world’s favorite bands like Green Day, The Beach Boys, Linkin Park, Red Hot Chilli Peppers etc.
- Literature: The state of California is home to notable authors who have published books about or in California. Some of them are:
- John Steinbeck: He is classified as one of the best authors of the century.
- Joan Didion: Joan has authored five novels and eight non-fiction pieces.
- Wallace Stegner: He has been nicknamed the Dean of Western Writers.
- Philip K Dick: Widely recognized as a science fiction writer.
- Robert Frost: He lived in the state till he was 11 and was known as a gifted poet and writer.
- Museums: These institutions can most certainly be known as the ‘Gateway to History’ for any state or country. Californian museums share their stories and take people back in time, almost instantaneously. The state is home to numerous museums and every history buff can find his fix here. Whether one is interested in the art or the history of the previous decades of Californian culture, they can visit the museums and satiate their curiosity. One can visit the:
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
- The Exploratorium
- The Getty Center
- The California State Railroad museum
- The Oakland Museum of California in Oakland and many more.
- Food and Cuisine: California is regarded as a culinary delight across the United States of America. It is then no surprise that one would find food playing a major role in shaping up the culture of the state. The Landmarks Club Cookbook was initially published in 1903 and from then on, began a historic publishing journey. Californians are partial towards exotic fruits as well and take keen interest in developing delicious recipes.
- Education: The UC or The University of California has gained an outstanding reputation for itself in the academic world. It employs the world’s largest number of Nobel Prize winners and thus imparts quality education to its students. The California State University houses over 400,000 students and sets a new record for the largest university system in the world. The university is amongst the oldest in the US and accepts the crème de la crème of high school students. The state also houses various community colleges that accommodate over 2.9 million students in totality. Several private universities and colleges are also established in the state like the Stanford University, California Institute of Technology etc.