Temples in Arkansas

Temples in Arkansas

As like most of the other southern states of United States of America, Arkansas population is mostly Christian (around 86%) and other religions comprise the remaining 14%. There are several temples in Arkansas of which prominent ones are listed below.

Temple Shalom of Northwest Arkansas:

Situated in the city of Fayetteville, Temple Shalom is a small, volunteer run tight knit congregation serving as a place of worship for the Jewish Faith. The temple was founded in 1981 and Rabbi Norbert L. Rosenthal served as the first Rabbi. The temple serves as a focal point for diverse range of practices associated with Judaism and promotes Jewish culture and spiritual enrichment. Since 2006 Jacob Adler is serving as the resident Rabbi.

Masonic Temples:

Also popularly known as Masonic Halls, Masonic Lodges and Masonic Centers, these wonderful landmarks are a testament to the Masonic rituals and tradition. It is believed that the first such lodge was built at King Solomon’s Temple in Jerusalem. There were several built afterwards as a continuation to this tradition to house the Masonic meetings. Arkansas hosts a few such temples several of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Masonic Temple at El Dorado. (built in 1924)
  • Masonic Temple at Pine Bluff (built in 1902)
  • Russellville Masonic Temple (built in 1926)

Buddhist Temples:

Represented by ethnic immigrants and native converts, Buddhists in Arkansas comprise less than 1% of the population. Buddhism, often considered a philosophy, a way of life has attracted thousands who seek Nirvana (escape from the cycle of birth and death), one of the four seals of Buddhism. There are several Buddhist temples in Arkansas.

  • Wat Buddha Samakitham:Founded in the year 1989 and spread over 6 acres of land, this is the largest Buddhist temple in the state and is situated in Fort Smith.
  • Wat Lao Thepnimith Xaimongkoon: This temple is situated in Springdale of Washington County. Along with the first, this temple primarily serves the Laotian immigrant community.
  • Chùa Ph ô Minh: Housed in Fort Smith again, this Buddhist temple is the sacred place serving the Vietnamese community.
  • Chùa Bat Nha: Meaning Monastery in Vietnam, this temple, founded in 2005, also primarily serves the Vietnamese community and is located in Bauxite (Saline County).

Northwest Arkansas Hindu Temple:

Situated in Bentonville, this is an initiative of the Hindu Association of North West Arkansas (HANWA) which is a non-profit organization. The construction of the temple marks an auspicious time in the Hindu community. The temple hosts several Hindu rituals and functions.