Introduction to Beijing Olympics 2008
- The 2008 Summer Olympics will be hosted by Beijing, China.
- The Beijing Olympics 2008 will be held from August 8 to August 24, 2008.
- Most event sand the opening ceremony for Beijing Olympics 2008 will take place at the Beijing National Stadium.
- Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; text-align: justify;">The opening ceremony for Beijing Olympics 2008 will begin at 08.08.08 pm CST.
- Some Beijing Olympics 2008 events will be held at other cities in Mainland China and Hong-Kong.
About 2008 Beijing Olympics:
- Beijing was declared the official host of the 2008 Olympic Games on July 13, 2001.
- “Dancing Beijing” is the official logo of the Beijing Olympics 2008 games.
- Five “Fuwa” or “good luck dolls”, each one representing one color of the Olympic rings, are the mascots of 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- The five Fuwa also represent the five elements in Chinese mythology- earth, fire, wood, water and metal.
- They symbolize the fish, giant panda, Tibetan antelope, swallow and fire.
- The official slogan for 2008 Beijing Olympics is “One World, One Dream”.
- There will be 302 events in all at Beijing Olympics 2008.
- A total of 28 sports have been included in the games for Beijing Olympics 2008.
- Many new National Olympic Committees have also gained recognition by the IOC this year.
- The games at Beijing Olympics 2008 will be hosted by 37 venues across Mainland China and Hong-Kong.
- 12 new venues have also been constructed for Beijing Olympics 2008 including the “Bird’s Nest”.
Development and preparation for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- The government has adopted measures to step up the equality of security servicesat Beijing Olympics 2008.
- Improvements are being made to make cities more convenient for English-speaking visitors during Beijing Olympics 2008.
- Investment in renovation and construction of new venues is being made for Beijing Olympics 2008.
- The Beijing National Stadium or the “Bird’s Nest” will be the prime architectural attraction of the Beijing Olympics 2008 games.
- The government also enhanced and expanded public transport systemsfor the Beijing Olympics 2008 games.
- Communication systems like cell phone and internet towers have also been set up for international visitors during Beijing Olympics 2008.
- Traffic control strategies have been implemented to reduce air-pollution levels.
- Authorities are also planning to make the Beijing Olympics 2008 a non-smoking event.
- Officially branded products are made available in special stores and online.
- Many Olympic themed songs were recorded by internationally known singers for the Beijing Olympics 2008 games.
Games in Beijing Olympics 2008:
The following games are included in the 2008 Beijing Olympics:
Torch Relay for Beijing Olympics 2008
- The Olympics torch relay began on 24 March 2008 in Olympia, Greece.
- Olympics torch relay arrived in Beijing on 31 March and was carried across all continents from there.
- The relay was met with a lot of hostility and protests form Tibetan activists.