History of Triathlon Sports:
- Triathlon was developed in the early 1970s.
- It was primarily employed as a vigorous workout.
- Triathlon consisted of a 10km run, an 8km cycle and a 500 meter swim.
- The first Triathlon world championships were held in 1989.
- The official distance for triathlon was set at:
- Swimming: 1500 meter
- Cycling: 40 km
- Running: 19 km swim
- Triathlon was introduced to the Olympic Games in 2000.
- Both men and women are allowed to compete in this sport.
Competition Field for Triathlon Sports:
- Athletes are given a priority based on their World Cup rankings for selecting the starting position.
- The athletes go directly to their selected numbered position and stay there till the competition starts.
- Technical Officials note each athlete's race number and selected starting position.
- The draft zone will be 7 meters long by 3 meters wide.
- A competitor will be allowed a maximum of 15 seconds to pass through another competitor’s zone.
- Motorcycles are the only vehicles allowed on the course.
- All personnel must wear a securely fastened certified motorcycle helmet at all times while driving.
- Use of helmets is mandatory throughout the competition.
- Unused equipment should stay within the transition area or in a bin.
- Competitors must not interfere in the progress of other competitors in the Transition Area.
Equipments for Triathlon Sports:
- Bike rack- To hold the bicycle upright
- Bottom bracket- To attach the axle unit to the base of the bicycle.
- Chainset- comprising of chainwheels, chain and rear sprocket.
- Derailleur- mechanism to move the chain across chainrings.
- Nose clip
- Pontoon- A floating apparatus
- Sprocket wheel
- Swim buoy: A marker used as a turning point in the swimming course.
- Swimming cap
Triathlon Sports Events:
The following events are included in the program for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- Individual Men
- Individual Women
Venues for Triathlon Sports:
- The triathlon event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at the Ming Tomb Reservoir in Changping District of northern Beijing from August 18-19.
- The main venue is near the big dam of the reservoir.
- Swimming will be held on the reservoir.
- Cycling and running will be held on the big dam and the road section south of the dam.
- Men -55
- Women -55
- Total - 110