History of Taekwondo:
- Taekwondo is a traditional Korean martial art.
- It involves a combination of hand and kick movements.
- Taekwondo became the dominant form of martial art in 1955.
- In 1973, the Korean government recognized the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) as the legitimate governing body of the sport.
- The first Taekwondo World Championships were held in 1973.
- Taekwondo was included as a demonstration sport in the Olympics in 1988 and 1992.
- It was officially included as a medal sport in 1994.
Rules for Taekwondo:
- Taekwondo competition takes place at an individual level.
- The duration of the contest shall be three rounds of two minutes each.
- A one minute rest period will be allowed between rounds.
- Weigh-in for contestants will be held one day prior to the competition.
Permitted Techniques and Areas for Taekwondo Event:
The following techniques are permitted in the competition:
- Fist techniques
- Foot techniques
Competitors can target the following areas of their opponents:
Legal Scoring Areas
- Mid-section of the trunk
Scoring for Taekwondo Event:
- Points shall be awarded when permitted techniques are delivered accurately and powerfully to the legal scoring areas of the body.
- One point is awarded for an attack on the trunk.
- Two points are awarded for an attack on the face.
- One additional point is awarded for knocking down the opponent.
- Match score shall be the sum of points of the three rounds.
- If a player attacks the opponent using prohibited techniques, the points scored will be annulled.
- The Competition Area shall measure 10m x 10m using the metric system.
- The Competition Area should be covered with an elastic mat.
Equipment for Taekwondo:
- Trunk protector
- Forearm and shin guards
- Head protector
- Groin guard
Beijing Olympics 2008 Taekwondo Event:
The following events and included in the program for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- + 80 kg Men
- - 58 kg Men
- 58 - 68 kg Men
- 68 - 80 kg Men
- + 67 kg Women
- 49 kg Women
- 49 - 57 kg Women
- 57 - 67 kg Women
Beijing Olympics 2008 Taekwondo Venue:
The taekwondo event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at University of Science and Technology Beijing Gymnasium from August 20-23, 2008.
- Men- 62
- Women- 62
- Tripartite Invitation places- 4
- Total- 128