History of Swimming Sports
- Swimming emerged as a sport in the early nineteenth century.
- The first swimming competitions were conducted by the National Swimming Society of Great Britain.
- Olympic swimming events were earlier limited only to freestyle.
- Breaststroke was introduced to the Olympics in 1904.
- The Butterfly stroke came into origin only in the 1940’s.
- Women’s swimming was first held in 1912.
Beijing Olympics 2008 Swmming Venues
- The swimming event will be held at the National Aquatics Center in the Olympic Green from August 9-24, 2008.
- The 10km-marathon swimming event for men and women will be held at Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park.
Beijing Olympics 2008 Swimming Events for Men & Women
- Programs for men and women participants are similar.
- The number of events is the same.
- Freestyle distance for men is 1500 meters while for women it is 800 meters.
Dimensions for Swimming in Beijing Olympics 2008
- The length of the pool between Automatic Officiating Equipment Panels should be 50 or 25 meters.
- A tolerance of plus 0.03 meter in each lane minus 0.00 meter on both end walls at all points from 0.3 meter above to 0.8 meter below the surface of the water is allowed.
- A minimum depth of 1.35 metes, extending from 1.0 meter to at least 6.0 meters from the end wall.
- Every point on the pool should be atleast 1.0 meter deep.
Refrees for Swimming in Beijing Olympics 2008
- Refrees in Beijing Olympics 2008 for Swimming will be the most authoritative figure in the events.
- Beijing Olympics 2008 refrees will be responsible for enforcement of rules and decisions.
- Olympics refrees for swimming will be in charge of answering questions not pertaining to the rule-book.
- The best competitive timings of contestants should be submitted an year prior to the last entry date.
- Failure to submit official timings can cause the participant to be placed at the end of the list.
- Placement of contestants with equal timings will be decided by a draw.
- Based on the submitted timings, participants will be placed in trial heats.
- Swimmers finishing at the same timing during quarter-finals will compete in a swim-off.
Beijing Olympics 2008 Swimming Styles
Swimming events for the Olympics will include the following styles:
- Freestyle Swimming events
- Breaststroke Swimming events
- Butterfly stroke Swimming events
- Back stroke Swimming events
- Medley Swimming events
Beijing Olympics 2008 Swimming Events
- 100m backstroke Men
- 100m butterfly Men
- 1500m freestyle Men
- 200m breaststroke Men
- 200m freestyle Men
- 400m freestyle Men
- 4x100m freestyle relay Men
- 4x200m freestyle relay Men
- marathon 10km Men
- 100m breaststroke Women
- 100m freestyle Women
- 200m breaststroke Women
- 200m freestyle Women
- 400m freestyle Women
- 4x100m freestyle relay Women
- 4x200m freestyle relay Women
- 800m freestyle Women
- 100m breaststroke Men
- 100m freestyle Men
- 200m backstroke Men
- 200m butterfly Men
- 200m individual medley Men
- 400m individual medley Men
- 4x100m medley relay Men
- 50m freestyle Men
- 100m backstroke Women
- 100m butterfly Women
- 200m backstroke Women
- 200m butterfly Women
- 200m individual medley Women
- 400m individual medley Women
- 4x100m medley relay Women
- 50m freestyle Women
- marathon 10km Women