History of Softball Sports:
- Softball originated in 1887 as an indoor form of baseball.
- It began as an organized sport in the US in 1933.
- The Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA) was formed in 1933.
- In 1965, the International Softball Federation (ISF) was formed.
- Softball disciplines are fast pitch, slow pitch, and modified fast pitch.
- World championships in fast pitch softball were first held in 1965 for women and 1966 for men.
- Slow-pitch world championships began in 1987.
- The first world competition for junior men and women was held in 1981.
- A World Cup for age 16-under girls began in 2001.
The Playing Field for Softball Sports:
The playing field shall have a clear and unobstructed area within the minimum radius of:
- 67.06 m (220 ft) for junior and women fast pitch; or
- 76.20 m (250 ft) for junior and men fast pitch; or
- 80.77m (265 ft) for junior women slow pitch
- 83.82 m (275 ft) for women slow pitch; or
- 83.82m (275 ft) for Co-ed slow pitch, or
- 91.44 m (300 ft) for men slow pitch
- The field should have a minimum open area of 7.62m (25 ft) between the home plate and the backstop.
- This area should not exceed 9.14m (30 ft) in width.
- The playing field should preferably have a warning track
Rules for Softball Sports:
- A game consists of seven innings.
- Additional innings may be played in case of a tie.
- All seven innings need not be played if the second team scores more than the first at any point during the game.
- The umpire holds the authority to call-off a game at any time.
- The umpire may also forfeit a game on account of the participating teams’ behavior on field.
- A regulation tie game shall be replayed from the beginning.
- Original line-ups may be changed when the game is replayed.
Softball Sports Equipments:
- Ball: made of synthetic core covered in leather.
- Bat: made of high grade aluminum alloy
- Batting glove
- Diamond: made of a dirt infield and a grass outfield.
- Glove (Catcher)
- Helmet or Skull Cap (catcher)
- Mask (catcher)
- Shin guards and Knee pads
- Helmet (batter)
Softball Sports Venues:
- The softball event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at Fengtai Softball Field in Beijing from August 12-21, 2008.
- 8 teams of 15 players
- Total of 120 athletes