History of Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
- The first Salome canoe racing competition was held in 1933.
- World championships in slalom canoe racing were introduced in 1949.
- Whitewater canoeing, or slalom canoeing, was first held at the Olympics in 1972.
- It was discontinued in 1988, but was resumed in 1992.
- Men compete in Canadian singles (C1) and doubles (C2) and kayak singles (K1).
- Women compete only in kayak singles (K1).
- While flat racers must paddle continuously in a straight line, whitewater racers are propelled by the current of the water.
Competition Rules for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
The canoe/kayak slalom racing will be held in accordance with the International Canoeing Federation (ICF) Slalom Racing Competition Rules. Entries will be finalized by ICF at a technical meeting to be held on August 9, 2008
Competition format for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
Each Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports event will consist of:
- Heats (2 runs)
- Semifinal (1 run)
- Final (1 run)
A Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports draws will take place for athletes who are not included in the current ICF World Ranking List.
Equipments for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
- Bent-shaft paddle
- Double-bladed paddle
- Single-bladed paddle
- Spray skirts
- Life jacket
The Course for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
- The course must be entirely navigable throughout its length.
- Conditions should be uniform for right and left-handed paddlers.
- The course should have atleast one gate-combination.
- Direction changes and obstacles should be present to increase difficulty levels.
- The course must be atleast 250 m in length.
- The maximum length for a course is 400 m.
- The course should be navigable for K1 men in not less than 90 Sec.
- The course must consist of a maximum of 25 gates and a minimum of 18 gates.
- A minimum of 6 and a maximum of 7 gates must be upstream gates.
- The distance between the last gate and the finish line must be atleast 15 meters and not more than 25 meters.
- Only the Chief Judge is authorized to alter or change the position of a gate.
Venue for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
The canoe/kayak event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at the Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park on the side of Chaobai River in the Shunyi District of Beijing from August 11-23, 2008.
Athlete Quota for Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports:
- 61 men
- 21 women
- Total of 82 athletes
Canoe/Kayak Salome Sports Events:
- C-1 (canoe single) Men
- K-1 (kayak single) Men
- C-2 (canoe double) Men
- K-1 (kayak single) Women