History of Modern Pentathlon:
- The Ancient Pentathlon was introduced for the first time at the 18th Olympiad in 708 BC.
- It consisted of:
- Throwing the spear
- Throwing the discus
- The Modern Pentathlon was introduced at the 5th Olympiad in 1912.
- It comprised of :
- Pistol shooting
- Horse riding
- The winner of the event is touted as the “ideal, complete athlete”.
Equipment and Competition Field for Modern Pentathlon Event:
- Competition arena: a riding course of 350–450m length consisting of 12 obstacles.
Beijing Olympics 2008 Modern Pentathlon Events:
The following events are included in the program for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- Individual competition Men
- Individual competition Women
The target for modern pentathlon is 72 athletes.