History of Rhythmic Gymnastics:
Rhythmic gymnastics was recognized by the Federation Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) in 1962. It was contested for the first time in Europe during the 1930s. Rhythmic gymnastics has elements of ballet. The rhythmic individual all-around competition was introduced into the Olympic Games in 1984.
Competition Area of Rhythmic gymnastics:
- The venue for rhythmic gymnastics should have a minimum seating capacity of 4000.
- The temperature of the hall must be at least 20°C during the event.
- Lighting standards should be maintained at atleast 1500 lux.
- There should be a reserved “warming up” area for participants.
- The dimensions should confirm to the FIG standards.
- The minimum dimensions required are as follows:
- Length: 8 meters (10-12 m preferably)
- Working Surface: 13 square meters
- Safety zone: 50 cm wide
- Safety distance: 4 meters
- Other equipment and necessities at the venue may include:
- A spring gymnastic type floor of 12 by 12 meters square working surface.
- Landing mats with a thickness of minimum 20cm to maximum 50 cm.
- A team of medical persons.
Competition Rules of Rhythmic gymnastics:
The Rules and Regulations for the rhythmic gymnastics competition will be laid out by:
- Federation Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) Technical Regulations
- The FIG Rhythmic Gymnastics Code of Points
- The Olympic Charter
- The FIG shall be responsible for technical control and direction of the sport
Competition Format of Rhythmic gymnastics:
Individual Competition of Rhythmic gymnastics
- This is an All-Around competition.
- The competition includes qualification and final rounds.
- All routines must be accompanied by music.
- Gymnasts compete in only two apparatus in a single day.
- The top 10 gymnasts with the highest total score on all four apparatus in the qualification round advance to the final.
- The qualification round scores are not included in the finals.
- The four apparatus exercises include:
Group Competition of Rhythmic gymnastics
- Twelve groups of six gymnasts perform two exercises.
- Five members perform in each routine.
- One exercise is performed with 5 ropes and the other exercise is performed with 3 hoops and 2 clubs.
- The highest scoring eight groups make it to the final.
Venues for Rhythmic gymnastics in Beijing Olympics 2008:
- The gymnastics event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held in Beijing from August 9-24, 2008.
- The artistic gymnastics and trampoline competitions will be held at the National Indoor Stadium.
- The rhythmic gymnastics will be held at the Beijing University of Technology Gymnasium.
Drawing of Lots for Rhythmic gymnastics:
- Individual All-Around Qualification Competition Draw
- Individual All-Around Final Competition Draw
- Group All-Around Qualification Competition Draw
- Group All-Around Final Competition Draw
Athlete Quota for Rhythmic gymnastics:
Only women can participate in this competition.
- Total: 96
- Individual: 24
- Groups: 12 groups of 6 athletes
Events of Rhythmic gymnastics:
The following events are included in the program for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- individual all-round Women