History of Fencing Sports:
- Fencing has been included in every Olympic game till date.
- Fencing Sports was first contested in 1896.
- Women's fencing was introduced in the Olympics in 1924.
- Today, men and women compete in both team and individual events.
- Three types of swords -- the foil, the epee and the saber, are used
- Women compete in both team and individual events at epee and sabre.
- Women's epee events were first introduced in 1996.
- Women’s sabre events were first played during the 2004 Olympics.
Rules of Fencing Sports:
- The technical rules are laid down by the Federation Internationale d'Escrime.
- These were adopted by the International Congress of National Olympic Committees in 1914.
- They were modified by various FIE Congresses and were revised in 1931 and 1954 and renamed 'Technical Rules.
- They were modernized after the 1958 Congress and renamed 'Rules for Competitions'.
- An updated edition was again published in 1972.
- The last revised edition was published in 1997.
- The Rules for Foil were adopted on 12 June 1914 by the Committee for Foil of the FIE.
- The rules governing foil competitions judged with the electrical judging apparatus were adopted in 1957 and modified numerous times.
- The Rules for Epee were drawn up in 1914.
- The FIE Sabre were adopted at the Olympic Games in London in 1908 and in Stockholm in 1912.
Equipments for Fencing Sports:
- Blade: The part of a sword from the guard to the point.
- Chest guard for chest protection.
- Fil de corps
- Foible: The weaker part of a sword blade, between the middle and the point.
- Grip or the handle of the sword
- Guard to protect the dueling hand
- Piste or the field of play
- Point or the end of the blade, which must touch the opponent's target area to score a point.
- 102 women
- 102 men
- 8 host country fencers
- Total of 212 athletes
- 3 fencers per weapon for the weapons in which there is a team event
- 2 fencers per weapon for the weapons in which there is only an individual event.
Events of Fencing Sports in Beijing Olympics 2008:
On the programme of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, Beijing 2008
- Epee individual Men
- Epee team Men
- Foil individual Men
- Sabre individual Men
- Sabre team Men
- Epee individual Women
- Foil individual Women
- Foil team Women
- Sabre individual Women
- Sabre team Women
Venue for Fencing Sports in Beijing Olympics 2008:
The fencing event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at the Fencing Hall in the National Convention Center on the Olympic Green from August 9-17.
- epee individual Men
- epee team Men
- foil individual Men
- sabre individual Men
- sabre team Men
- epee individual Women
- foil individual Women
- foil team Women
- sabre individual Women
- sabre team Women