History of Basketball Sports
- Basketball originated in the US during the late nineteenth century.
- By 1930, it was an internationally recognized sport and the International Basketball Federation was formed in 1932 in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Though Basketball was introduced in the Olympics in 1904, it was played as a medal sport only in 1936.
- Women’s basketball was introduced in 1976.
- The US has won the maximum medals for basketball in Olympic history.
Events for Basketball in Beijing Olympics 2008
The following events are on the programme for Beijing Olympics 2008:
- Basketball Men
- Basketball Women
Venue for Basketball in Beijing Olympics 2008
- The basketball event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at Wukesong Indoor Stadium in Beijing from August 9-24, 2008.
Equipments for Basketball Sports:
The following equipment is required for the sport:
- A rigid rectangular blackboard behind the rim.
- A ball that is 75 to 78 cm in circumference and weighs 600-650 grams.
- The ball should be made of standard leather.
- A goal/ basket made of horizontal and circular metal rim that is located 3.05 m above floor level.
- High-topped shoes.
- A stop-clock
- A floor area measuring 28m x 15m made of wooden parquet.
Rules for Basketball Sports:
The FIBA will be responsible for laying down guidelines regarding:
- Official Basketball Rules
- Basketball equipment
- Internal regulations
- Olympic Charter
- Technical control and direction
- Appointment of International Technical Officials
- Verifying the identity of participating athletes, team managers and assistant team managers
The Olympic Basketball competition for men and women will consist of:
- Preliminary Round
Preliminary Round in Beijing Olympics 2008
- There will be a total of 12 participating teams.
- These will be divided into two equal groups A and B.
- The teams will compete with other teams in the same group.
- The top-four teams from each group will qualify for the Quarter-Finals.
Quarterfinals in Beijing Olympics 2008
The 8 teams qualified from the Preliminary Round will compete as follows:
- Game 31- A2 vs. B3
- Game 32- B1 vs. A4
- Game 33- B2 vs. A3
- Game 34- A1 vs. B4
The four winning teams will make it to the Semi-Finals.
Semifinals in Beijing Olympics 2008
The four winners of the Quarterfinals will compete in the following format:
- Game 35: Winner 31 vs. Winner 32
- Game 36: Winner 33 vs. Winner 34
- The winning teams will play in the gold medal game.
- The losing teams will play in the bronze medal game.
Finals in Beijing Olympics 2008
The Finals will be played in the following format:
- Game 37: Loser 35 vs. Loser 36 (3rd– 4th)
- Game 38: Winner 35 vs. Winner 36 (1st -2nd)
- The winner of Game 37 will receive the bronze medal and the loser will finish the 4th place.
- The winner of Game 38 will receive the gold medal and the loser will receive the silver medal.