HISTORY OF BASEBALL SPORTS
Baseball originated as a sport in the US in the nineteenth century. The spot gradually began to be played professionally and the National Association of Professional Base Ball Players was formed in 1871. In 1876, this organization was replaced by the National League of Professional Baseball Clubs. Today, many nations play professional baseball.
EQUIPMENTS FOR BASEBALL SPORTS:
The following equipments are needed to play Baseball at the Beijing Olympics:
- A ball made of string and rubber that encloses a cork core.
- A Bat to hit the ball.
- A Baseball cap to identify the players’ team and for sun-protection.
- Batter’s glove
- A field or artificial turf- also called a Diamond.
- A leather glove to catch the ball.
- A Batter’s helmet for protection.
- A full-faced helmet for the catcher.
- Shin guards and knee pads for protection.
PLAYING FIELD FOR BASEBALL SPORTS
- The infield should be 90 square foot in area.
- The outfield is the area between two foul lines.
- The distance from home base to the nearest fence should be atleast 250 feet.
- The infield shall be graded so that the base lines and home plate are on the same level.
- The pitcher's plate shall be 10 inches above the level of home plate.
- The infield and outfield, including the boundary lines are fair territory and all other area is foul territory.
- The foul lines and all other playing lines should be marked in white.
RULES FOR BASEBALL SPORTS
- Umpires should be present five minutes before the hour of commencement of the game.
- After the home team takes its defensive positions and the batter takes position in the batter’s box, the Umpire shall announce “Start”.
- When the ball is put in play, all fielders other than the catcher should be on fair territory.
- The batting order shall be followed throughout the game unless a player is substituted for another.
- There can be a maximum of two base coached who are required to be in uniform and stay within the coach box.
- No other individual apart from playing team members is permitted on the playing field.
- The batter should be positioned with both feet inside the lines defining the batter’s box.
- There are two legal pitching positions:
- The Windup Position
- The Set Position.
- The league president shall appoint one or more umpires and an official scorer.
VENUE FOR BASEBALL SPORTS IN BEIJING OLYMPICS 2008
The baseball event of the 29th Olympic Games will be held at the Wukesong Baseball Field in Beijing from August 13-23, 2008.
ATHLETE QUOTA FOR BASEBALL SPORTS
- Total of 192 men.
- 8 teams with 24 players in each team.
- Only men are allowed to compete in this event.