HISTORY of ATHLETICS SPORTS:
Athletics is the oldest sport in the Olympics. The inclusion of Athletics in the Olympics dates back to the origin of Olympics itself. It is also the most publicized sport in the Olympics. Track and field events were introduced to the Athletics in 1896. The track and field events in Athletics comprise of six categories that include several different events. Women’s Athletics began in the 1828. Now, women and men have a similar program for events. The United States Athletic team has dominated the Olympics for many years.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN’S AND WOMEN’S ATHLETICS SPORTS EVENTS:
- Men contest a steeplechase event and women do not.
- Men have two walks (20km and 50km) and the women only one (20km).
- The distance for the women's high hurdles race is 100 meters and for the men's 110 meters.
- Women compete in a heptathlon, while the men compete in the decathlon.
ATHLETE QUOTA OF ATHLETICS SPORTS:
- 1100 men
- 900 women
- Total of 2000 athletes
RULES OF ATHLETICS SPORTS:
- An athlete’s eligibility to compete must be declared by the Member Federation wherein he/she has sought permission.
- The order of trial may be modified by the Referee in case two events entered by an athlete are scheduled to take place simultaneously.
- All measurements shall be made with a calibrated certified steel tape or bar or with a scientific measuring device certified by the IAAF.
- Measurements should confirm to national and international standards.
- The Referee holds the right to disqualify an athlete or order for a re-holding of the event.
- When the number of entrants is very large, a qualifying round is held.
- The results of the qualifying round will have no bearing on the final results of the competition.
- The minimum height for vertical jumps will be announced by the Chief Judge.
- Each athlete will be given three consecutive chances to qualify.
- Height will be measured before a jump in made and also after it.
- In the Pole Vault event, the crossbar may be moved only in the direction of the landing area.
- Desired position of the crossbar must be specified by the athlete before the competition starts.
PLAYING FIELD OF ATHLETICS SPORTS:
TRACK ATHLETICS EVENTS
- A standard running track is 400m in length and consists of two parallel straights and two bends of equal radii.
- The inside of the track should be bordered with a kerb of suitable material.
- If the kerb is removed at some points, it must be replaced by a white line and cones or flags.
- For a grass track, the inner edge should be marked with 5cm thick lines and flagged at intervals of 4m.
- The distance of the race shall be measured from the edge of the start line to the edge of the finish.
- In all races up to and including 400m, each athlete shall have a separate lane of uniform width.
HIGH JUMPS ATHLETICS SPORTS
- For High Jump events, the minimum length of the runway should be 15 meters.
- In special conditions it may be 20 meters or even 25 meters.
- The maximum overall inclination of the runway and take-off area shall not exceed a ratio of 1:250 from beginning to end.
- The landing area shall be placed in a way such that the athlete's approach is always up the inclination.
- The landing area should not be less than 5m long x 3m wide.
HORIZANTAL JUMPS ATHLETICS SPORTS
- For horizontal jumps, the minimum length of the runway should be 40 meters and a width of 1.22 m with 5 cm wide white line markers.
- The landing area shall have a minimum width of 2.75m and a maximum width of 3m.
THROWING ATHLETICS SPORTS EVENTS
- The surface may be concrete, synthetic, asphalt, wood or any other suitable material surrounding to the circle.
- The interior of the circle should be at a level 1.4 - 2.6cm lower than the upper edge of the rim of the circle.
- The inner diameter of the circle should be 2.135m (±5mm) in the Shot Put and the Hammer Throw and 2.50m (±5mm) in the Discus Throw.
EQUIPMENTS FOR ATHLETICS SPORTS:
The following equipment is required for the Athletic events:
- Bar: The crosspiece made of wood, metal or plastic which high jumpers and pole-vaulters must clear.
- Baton: A smooth, hollow metal or wooden tube passed in a relay race.
- Box: The contoured dugout to place a pole before vaulting.
- Circle: The round area within which athletes must stay while throwing their respective projectiles.
- Running shoes (100M): Special shoes with no heels which have 11 crampons.
- Running shoes (Marathon): Light-weight shoes
- Running shoes (Walking): Light and thin-soled shoes.
- Running shoes (Steeplechase): Shorter crampons and reinforced heels.
- Discus: A wooden plate rimmed with metal.
- Hurdles: The obstacles on a race track.
- Javelin: A metal or wooden shaft with a metal point similar to a spear.
- Hammer: A heavy metal ball attached to a wire cable and a handle.
- Shot: A heavy metal ball used in the shot put.
VENUE FOR ATHLETICS SPORTS IN BEIJING OLYMPICS 2008:
- The athletic events of the 29th Olympic Games will be held in Beijing from August 15-24, 2008.
- The athletics competitions will be held at the National Stadium in the Olympic Green.
- The starting point of the marathon event is at the Tiananmen Square and the finish point is the National Stadium.
- The start and finish points of the race walk event is at the National Stadium.
EVENTS OF ATHLETICS SPORTS:
- 10000m Men
- 100m Men
- 110m hurdles Men
- 1500m Men
- 200m Men
- 20km walk Men
- 3000m steeplechase Men
- 400m Men
- 400m hurdles Men
- 4x100m relay Men
- 4x400m relay Men
- 5000m Men
- 50km walk Men
- 800m Men
- decathlon Men
- discus throw Men
- hammer throw Men
- high jump Men
- javelin throw Men
- long jump Men
- marathon Men
- pole vault Men
- shot put Men
- triple jump Women
- triple jump Men
- 10000m Women
- 100m Women
- 100m hurdles Women
- 1500m Women
- 200m Women
- 20km race walk Women
- 3000m steeplechase Women
- 400m Women
- 400m hurdles Women
- 4x100m relay Women
- 4x400m relay Women
- 5000m Women
- 800m Women
- discus throw Women
- hammer throw Women
- heptathlon Women
- high jump Women
- javelin throw Women
- long jump Women
- marathon Women
- pole vault Women
- shot put Women