Veterans Day is that time of the year when the whole nation stands up to salute our military and show appreciation for their bravery and sacrifice. There are many ways to express appreciation to our war heroes, here are some suggestions:
1. Attend an event: Veterans Day events are organized in all communities. Attending an event or service with your family and friends encourages those who are, or have been a part of the military. Your presence can add to their recognition and cheer.
2. Donate: Many organizations across the country are dedicated to extending support to needy veterans. Offering a donation is a way of doing your bit for the nation and honoring these brave hearts.
3. Volunteer: VA hospitals in your neighborhood are a great way to volunteer and spend time with a veteran. You can approach the hospital and find out how you can be of help to them on this day. Even offering to spend a couple of hours listening to a war veteran will be appreciated.
4. Mail: Post cards and letters may be a thing of the past, but they continue to evoke strong feelings of belonging even to this day. If you know a veteran, drop in a message through a post card or a letter.
5. Hoist a flag: Fly the national flag - hoist one at your home, making sure you follow all the rules. This is a simple way to express your gratitude and love for your country.
6. Picnic with a veteran: Our national parks are open to all visitors on Veterans Day, with free admission. Use this opportunity to spend the day with a veteran.
7. Get creative: Think out-of-the-box and come up with novel ideas to express your appreciation to your country and those in service, on this special day.