Vanessa Lynn Williams in the year 1980 was credited as one of the most astonishing and unexpected beauty pageants.
Birth place and personal details
She was born to teacher parents in the New York City.Vanessa and her brother grew up in suburban New York in contented environment.
- She also went to the Miss America national pageant in Atlantic City. In the year 1984 on 17th September she was crowned Miss America.
- Later on in the year 1983 she became the African American Miss America. Even Williams won both the Preliminary Talent and Swimsuit Competitions also.
- In her schooling career Vanessa sang and danced in school productions and signed her high school yearbook with a promise to 'see you on Broadway'
- She left the school after winning a performing scholarship to Syracuse University. Then she decided to make it in New York show business.
- At that time Freddy helped Latifah sign with Tommy Boy Records, which aired as Latifah's first album All Hail the Queen in the year 1989, when she was nineteen of age.
- In the year 1984, she began entering beauty contests and ultimately won the Miss New York and then become the first African-American Miss America also.
- Later on she established a recording contract and released several hit albums which comprises 'The Sweetest Days' and 'The Comfort Zone'.
- She also worked in televisions and performed many roles and launched music videos also. She also appeared in films like Another You in the year 1991 and Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man at the same year.
- She scored her first big hit film with the thriller Eraser in the year 1996 with co-star Arnold Schwarzenegger and followed it up with Soul Food in the year 1997 and the remake of Shaft in the year 2000.
- She upheld her high school promise and performed on Broadway in the musical 'Kiss of the Spider Woman', a musical based on the Academy-Award winning film of the same name.
- Thus, she is one of the most beautiful and sought after performers around and she is in rehearsals to star in the Broadway revival of Stephen Sondheim's musical 'Into the Woods'.
- Even she continues to interchange between recording, the stage, films and television also for better career.
Vanessa also won a Sports Emmy for singing a song about quarterback Joe Montana during an aperture series on ABC's "NFL Monday Night Football" in the year 1970.