UK Unmarried Partner Visa

Unmarried Partner Visa UK

UK unmarried partner visa allows entry to the same-sex or heterosexual partners of the permanent residents or citizens of the UK, provided they are in genuine relationship.

UK Unmarried Partner Visa Requirements

  • The UK citizen or resident must be settled and living in the UK at the time of making the application or should accompany the applicant to the UK.
  • The applicant and the UK partner have to be 18 years minimum to qualify.
  • Previous civil partnerships or marriages should have been broken permanently.
  • The parties must not be blood related.
  • The relationship should have been live for a minimum for two years.
  • Both the parties must intend to enter a lifelong relationship.
  • The applicant must pass the English Language eligibility.
  • Availability of sufficient financial support and proper accommodation must be proved.

People who have entered the country through another qualifying visa that has validity of over six months can apply to switch to this visa category.

How to Apply for the UK Unmarried Partner Visa

VAF4A form must be filed along with the application fee of £810 by those applying for this visa from outside the UK. From within the country, form FLR (M) must be filed. The application fee for this would be £550 and £850 by post and in person, respectively. For Settlement processing, the application fee is £972 by post and £1350 in person.

Children (under 18), who are dependants need to be mentioned in the spouse’s application. However, they would need to file separate applications. Children above 18 years cannot apply as dependants.

The documents to be provided include,

  • Passport
  • Recent passport photos – 2 nos
  • Legal document of separation from previous marriages or civil partnerships
  • Proof of authenticity of the relationship
  • Proof of English language eligibility
  • Proof of financial stability
  • Proof of accommodation

UK Unmarried Partner Visa Terms

People who have applied for the visa from outside the country would be permitted to live permanently in the UK. However, to qualify for this the couple must have been in a live-in relationship for a minimum of four years; must come and settle in the UK; must not have unmet convections; and must pass the English language and UK life tests.

People who do not qualify under these criteria will be given probationary visa of two years and three months. In addition, people, who are switching to this category within the country, would be awarded a two-year probationary visa. Later (before the probationary period expires), they can apply for the ILR.

People who applied from within the country have statutory right, while those who applied form outside have full right to log an appeal if their UK Unmarried Partner Visa application has been rejected.