Non Immigrant Visa or temporary visas are issued by United States for international visitor who intend to stay temporarily. The visa entitles you to request for grant of entry at any port of entry in the United States of America. However, it does not guarantee an entry. Entry grant is subject to permission of the immigration officer posted at the port of entry.
Types of Non Immigrant Visa / Temporary Visa:
There are various types of Non Immigrant visa granted by US based on the purpose and category of the applicant. A few are mentioned below:
- B-1: Granted to person coming on business trip or to athletes, amateur & Professional coming to compete for prize money or to domestic help/nanny coming along with the foreign employer.
- B-2: This is granted to applicant coming for medical purpose
- H-1B: Applicants coming for occupation in the field requiring highly specialised skills.
- H-2B: Temporary workers
- B-2: This is granted for tourism and vacation.
- J, H-1B: Physicians coming to US
- J: This is granted to professors, scholars and teachers.
- H-3: Person coming for training and not for employment
- H-2A: Temporary agricultural workers
- F,M: Students falls under F and M category depending on whether the course pursued is academic or vocational.
- P: Performing athletes, artists and entertainers can apply for category P visa.
There are also other kinds of Visa categories for non immigrant visa applications like L visa for inter company transfers, I visa for media and journalists etc.
The consular officer at the US embassy decides based on your application and need as to what kind of visa category you need to apply for.
You need to plan ahead for the visa stamping. The following steps can help:
- Find out the visa type
- Fins out the timings of consular office and wait time.
- Find the process for application and book an appointment for interview and finger prints scans.
- Be there on time and be ready with your answers.
The consulate has all the information at their website.