Sir George Gilbert Scott was born on July 13, 1811. He was a popular English architect during the Victorian Age and his work was related to building, renovation of cathedrals, churches and workhouses as well as designing.
Sir George Gilbert Scott was one of the best architects that Great Britain had ever known. He produced, built, altered and designed more than 800 buildings.
Born: July 13, 1811, Gawcott, United Kingdom
Died: March 27, 1878
Books: Personal and professional recollections
Children: John Oldrid Scott, George Gilbert Scott, Jr., Dukinfield Henry Scott
George Gilbert Scott was born in a small town known as Gawcott, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire. Scott was the grandson of Thomas Scott, a biblical commentator and the son of a clergyman. George Scott took interest in learning architecture and was a student of James Edmeston from 1832 - 1834. He also assisted Henry Roberts as well as assisted his friend Sampson Kempthrone.
Later in 1835, George Scott got an assistant, William Bonython Moffatt and then they later worked as partners from 1838 – 1845. For the past 10 years George and William designed more than 40 workhouses. In 1859, Scott designed a few working class housing for Akroydon, Halifax.
During the Victorian era, Scott was fascinated with Augustus Pugin’s work and asked him to join the Gothic revival. His first work which earned him lots of acclaim was the new St Giles’ church, Camberwell which had well defined octagonal spire in the year 1844 and the Martyrs’ Memorial on St Giles’ Oxford in 1841.
George Scott also designed the Lancing College in Sussex, which was designed with Walter Tower. It was only later that Scott moved to other designs from the mediaeval English gothic to the Victorian Gothic buildings. He eventually began to introduce new features and styles in European countries in Midland red-brick construction. The Midland Grand Hotel at London’s St Pancras Station is one of Scott’s new styles that was introduced.
Scott designed the Albert Memorial at the Hyde Park between 1864 and 1876. The memorial was built in memory of Queen Victoria’s husband, Prince Albert as a commission which was done on behalf of the Queen.
In 1859, Scott was awarded the prestigious award, the RIBA’s Royal Gold Medal. Scott died in 1878 and his body was buried in Westminster Abbey. Scott’s architecture expertise was carried forward by his two sons George Gilbert Scott Jr. and John Oldrid Scott and then his grandson Giles Gilbert Scott. Architect Elisabeth Scott and George Scott were related and his youngest son was a famous botanist Dukinfield Henry Scott.
George Gilbert Scott was a very popular architect during his time; his success therefore attracted many students. Some famous students were George Frederick Bodley (1845-1856), Hubert Austin (1868), William Henry Crossland, Charles Buckeridge (1856-1857) and many more.