A republic day is a national day in a particular country to mark the occasion of the actual commemoration of that particular country. It is usually the day when the constitution becomes active. In this section, we take a look at the republic days of a few countries.
Republic Day in India
- Even though India gained independence in 1947, it was not until the 26th of January 1950 the constitution was actually ratified.
- On this day there a parade is held with great fanfare in New Delhi, the capital of India.
- The President of India takes the salute and is accompanied by the Vice-President, Prime Minister and other dignitaries.
- The army, navy and air force join hands to give a great show.
- There is also active participation by local schools and representatives from all the states of India to present various cultural items to highlight the culture of all the states.
Republic Day in Pakistan
- Republic Day in Pakistan is observed to commemorate the day when Lahore Resolution was passed in 1956.
- It is the day when Pakistan ceased to be a dominion and assumed the status of an Islamic Republic.
- On this day a grand military parade is held and awards are given to deserving persons by the President.
- It is a national holiday and there is rejoice and celebrations, marked by functions all over the country.
Republic Day in Armenia and Azerbaijan
- Republic day in Azerbaijan and Armenia commemorates secede from the Transcaucasian Democratic Federative Republic on 28 May 1918.
- Azerbaijan holds the record of being the first democratic parliamentary republic in the Islamic world on this day.
Republic Day in Nepal
- After a ten-year long People’s Revolution by the Communist Part of Nepal (Maoist) culminating in a period of mass protests by all the main political parties in the year 2006, there was a peace accord and elections were held.
- The reign of the last king of Nepal, Gyanendra Shah came to an end and the country achieved its independence on 28 May 2008.
Republic Day in Italy
- Italian Republic Day, also known as the Fest della Repubblica is observed on June 2 annually.
- This day marks the 1946 referendum for the decision to be taken as to which type of government would be adopted after the Fascism were outlawed at the end of the Second World War.
- On this day in Italy a grand military parade is held in Rome.
Republic Day in Kazakhstan
- In Kazakhstan, the Republic Day is held on the 25th of October to commemorate the day Kazakhstan declared its sovereignty in 1990.
- This day marks the Declaration of State Sovereignty of the Kazakh SSR and it is a public holiday.
Republic Day in Former Yugoslavia
- On 29th of November 1943, Yugoslavia emerged as a socialist republic ruled by the Anti-Fascist Council of National Liberation of Yugoslavia.
- However, by 1989 with the formation of Slovenia and Croatia, this holiday ceased to be observed. This holiday was however observed in Yugoslavia as late as 2002.
Republic Day Dates Around the World
|Republic Day in Slovakia
|Republic Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Republic Day in India
|Republic Day in Hungary
|Republic Day in Pakistan
|Republic Day in Iran
|Republic Day in Armenia
|Republic Day in Azerbaijan
|Republic Day in Nepal
|Republic Day in South Africa
|Republic Day in Italy
|Republic Day in Ghana
|Republic Day in Philippines
|Republic Day in Iraq
|Republic Day in Tunisia
|Republic Day in Portugal
|Republic Day in China
|Republic Day in Kazakhstan
|Republic Day in Turkey
|Republic Day in Maldives
|Republic Day in Brazil
|Republic Day in Yugoslavia
|Republic Day in Malta
|Republic Day in Niger
More About Republic Day