R-1 visa Eligibilities

A religion is considered a beacon to millions of lost souls in the world. Naturally, it is a ripe source for various professions. Being ministers or preachers involves more than the verbosity of words and speech delivery in order to have a lucrative profession as such; but some states around the globe require ministers and preachers to have licenses and working permits.

Perhaps one of the busiest countries in terms of inspirational activities is the United States. Hundreds of ministers and preachers are establishing their local branch congregation in the US. However, working as a religious in the US is not easy. US immigration laws are strictly implemented; one who is looking to work there must religiously comply to get an R-1 visa.

An R-1 visa is one of the non-immigrant visas issued by the US government to allow religious workers to work in the US. Religious workers include but not limited to nuns, preachers, ministers, priests or clergy members.

Not all people preaching faith and churches are allowed to apply for an R-1 visa. US immigration authorities are imposing stringent rules to determine eligibilities for R-1 visa. Some of the basic requirements for eligibilities of R-1 visa are:

  • Applicant must be a member of a religious denomination with a non-profit organization in US;.
  • The non-profit organization must be exempted from tax;
  • Applicant must be a bonafide member of the non-profit organization for 2 years prior to submission of the application;
  • Applicant must have a valid vocation with the non-profit organization or was requested by the non-profit organization to work as a religious professional; and
  • Applicant did not live for one year in the US prior to his application.

R-1 visa Related Articles