Duration of R-1 Visa

If you desire to work and stay in the United States temporarily in your religious capacities then you have to obtain temporary religious worker (R-1) visa. The duration of R-1 visa is determined by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials. The CBP officials are authorized to determine the duration of R-1 visa that means your stay in the United States.

Extension of Duration of R-1 Visa

If you want to stay or work in the United States for more time than your authorized stay, you should apply with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) well in advance. However, extension of the duration of R-1 visa is possible if,

  • You have entered the U.S. lawfully.
  • Your visa and passport are valid up to the duration of your stay.
  • During your stay you are not indulged in criminal activities, which may make you ineligible for extension of duration of R-1 Visa.

Please note that failure in departing from the United States on time can make you out-of-status. It may void your visa and you may not be eligible to apply for visas in future. For a problem-free stay in the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa check out all the rules and regulations on the USCIS and CBP Websites.

R-1 Visa Related Articles