National Waffle Day 2014
National Waffle day, (not to be confused with International Waffle Day which is observed on 25th March) is held on August 24th. It is a day of fun-filled activities like waffle-making competitions, waffle parties and picnics and lots of special menus at restaurants who offer a delicious range of waffles to enjoy at special rates.
The waffle was actually started in Greece in the 1300s when the Greeks used two pans to cook cakes in between them. These cakes were topped with herbs and cheese.
National Waffle day in the US originated in New York on 24 August 1869. It was started by Cornelius Swarthout to mark his patenting of the waffle iron
- National waffle day is a dwindling festival, but is being kept alive by restaurant chains and radio stations.
- It is thus considered as a unique or unusual festival by most people.
- One of the most well-known radio associations of National Waffle Day is the “Fluff stuff of DJ radio commentary”.
National Waffle day brings in several activities all over the country. Some of them are given below:
- The first and most obvious activity is making and eating waffles.
- On National Waffle Day, waffle lovers make and eat a variety of different kinds of waffles – thick and crispy Belgian waffles, chewy Liege waffles and syrupy stroopwafels, just to name a few.
- Restaurants which specialize in waffles have special offers on this day and all their meals have different types of waffles thrown in.
- People have tea parties featuring waffles.
- Some people actually have picnics with waffles as the main course.
Several waffle recipes get highlighted on this day. A very popular waffle recipe, named Waffle day Waffles is given below:
- All-purpose flour – 1 ¾ cups
- Milk – 1 ¾ cups
- Canola oil – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Egg yolks – 2
- Egg whites – 2
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Stir the baking powder, flour and salt in a bowl, making a well in the center.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, milk and oil.
- Add the mixture of egg yolk to the dry mixture stirring enough to remove the lumps.
- Stir the egg whites in a separate bowl until peaks form.
- Mix the egg white mixture to the main mixture, leaving some traces of egg-white visible.
- Carefully spoon the mixture on the waffle iron.
- Serve warm with lots of maple syrup.
It may not be an official national holiday, but hey! You can still have lots of fun with this delicious snack. So make National Waffle day a day to remember for you and your family.
Events in August
- National Minority Donor Awareness Day 2014
- National Girlfriends Day 2014
- National Watermelon Day 2014
- National Mustard Day 2014
- Sister Day 2014
- Friendship Day 2014
- National Coast Guard Day 2014
- British Columbia Day 2014
- National Root Beer Float Day 2014
- National Night Out 2014
- Iowa State Fair 2014
- Dollar Day 2014
- National Polka Day 2014
- Grenada Carnival 2014
- Victory Day 2014
- National Creamsicle Day 2014
- National Navajo Code Talkers Day 2014
- Kentucky State Fair 2014
- India Independence Day 2014
- National Failures Day 2014
- National Relaxation Day 2014
- National Joke Day 2014
- True Love Forever Day 2014
- National Rum Day 2014
- Bad Poetry Day 2014
- National Aviation Day 2014
- National Potato Day 2014
- National Radio Day 2014
- National Thrift Store Day 2014
- National Spumoni Day 2014
- Senior Citizen Day 2014
- Minnesota State Fair 2014
- New York State Fair 2014
- Be an Angel Day 2014
- Daffodil Day 2014
- National Waffle Day 2014
- Notting Hill Carnival 2014
- Womens Equality Day 2014
- National Dog Day 2014
- Dream Day 2014
- Vermont State Fair 2014
- International Bacon Day 2014
- 01International Day for Older Persons 2014
- 01World Vegetarian Day 2014
- 01World Elders Day 2014
- 02World Farm Animal Day 2014
- 03Yom Kippur 2014
- 03World Smile Day 2014
- 04UN World Space Week 2014
- 04World Animal Day 2014
- 04Eid-al-Adha 2014
- 04National Golfers Day 2014
- 05World Teachers Day 2014
- 06New South Wales Labor Day 2014