National Waffle day, (not to be confused with International Waffle Day which is observed on 25th March) is held on August 24th. It is a day of fun-filled activities like waffle-making competitions, waffle parties and picnics and lots of special menus at restaurants who offer a delicious range of waffles to enjoy at special rates.
The waffle was actually started in Greece in the 1300s when the Greeks used two pans to cook cakes in between them. These cakes were topped with herbs and cheese.
National Waffle day in the US originated in New York on 24 August 1869. It was started by Cornelius Swarthout to mark his patenting of the waffle iron
- National waffle day is a dwindling festival, but is being kept alive by restaurant chains and radio stations.
- It is thus considered as a unique or unusual festival by most people.
- One of the most well-known radio associations of National Waffle Day is the “Fluff stuff of DJ radio commentary”.
National Waffle day brings in several activities all over the country. Some of them are given below:
- The first and most obvious activity is making and eating waffles.
- On National Waffle Day, waffle lovers make and eat a variety of different kinds of waffles – thick and crispy Belgian waffles, chewy Liege waffles and syrupy stroopwafels, just to name a few.
- Restaurants which specialize in waffles have special offers on this day and all their meals have different types of waffles thrown in.
- People have tea parties featuring waffles.
- Some people actually have picnics with waffles as the main course.
Several waffle recipes get highlighted on this day. A very popular waffle recipe, named Waffle day Waffles is given below:
- All-purpose flour – 1 ¾ cups
- Milk – 1 ¾ cups
- Canola oil – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Egg yolks – 2
- Egg whites – 2
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Stir the baking powder, flour and salt in a bowl, making a well in the center.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks, milk and oil.
- Add the mixture of egg yolk to the dry mixture stirring enough to remove the lumps.
- Stir the egg whites in a separate bowl until peaks form.
- Mix the egg white mixture to the main mixture, leaving some traces of egg-white visible.
- Carefully spoon the mixture on the waffle iron.
- Serve warm with lots of maple syrup.
It may not be an official national holiday, but hey! You can still have lots of fun with this delicious snack. So make National Waffle day a day to remember for you and your family.