National Creamsicle Day 2013
August the 14th is National Creamsicle Day. This is one of the most ridiculous and bizarre holidays of all. But sometimes, this is the kind of thing which makes life more meaningful. In the humdrum of our daily life, we need some kind of diversion to break the monotony. One unique way of doing this is to do it with a favorite food item. So, this is how National Creamsicle day came into existence.
Creamsicles were invented by the brand “Popsicle”, but later due to their extreme popularity took on their own brand name, “Creamsicle” and later became a common word. The creamsicle is a good snack or dessert to enjoy on a hot summer’s day.
Origin of the Creamsicle
Even though the origin of National Creamsicle Day is not known, the invention of the creamsicle is documented. This frozen dessert was invented by Frank Eppperson in 1905, who was successful in his experiment of enclosing vanilla ice cream with a layer of frozen fruit juice when he was 11 years old. He called his invention the “Epsicle” which later became “popsicle”, “creamsicle” and even “dreamsicle”.
Suggested Activities on National Creamsicle Day
The first and most obvious activity is to make creamsicles. In order to do this, a recipe for creamsicles is given below:
Recipe for Creamsicles
- Take a mixing bowl and mix orange juice and vanilla ice cream, gradually adding milk.
- Pour the mixture into small cups and freeze it.
- When half-frozen, remove and insert small sticks.
- Remove from the freezer when fully frozen.
- Serve chilled.
You do not have to make creamsicles but can buy them from a shop. But eat them you must, for today it is National Creamsicle Day.
- Throw a Party: Call your family and friends and have a good time eating all the creamsicles you can. Your guests will love it.
- Distribute Creamsicles: This is a good way of spreading awareness about creamsicles. You can take creamsicles to your child’s school, office or visit friends and give away creamsicles. This is a good way of connecting with people who you have not met for some time.
- Alternative Creamsicle Recipes: You can also celebrate this day by honoring the creamsicle with unique creamsicle-flavored recipes such as creamsicle cupcakes and creamsicle regular cakes. You can also experiment by inventing creamsicle cocktails and mocktails.
So, take some time off on the 14th of August to give the creamsicle the importance it deserves. It is the season for this tasty, frozen desert. You can do your bit towards promoting the popularity of the creamsicle on this day by creating activities and participating in any such related events. So join in the fun on National Creamsicle Day – it only comes once a year.