National Coast Guard Day 2014
Coast Guard day is celebrated every year on the 4th of August in the United States and Canada. It celebrated to mark the foundation of the US Coast guard. Throughout the country, Coast Guard units organize celebrations with the families. The maximum celebrations can be seen in Grand Haven, Michigan, which is also known as “Coast Guard City”.
History of Coast Guard Day
- The Coast Guard was actually first formed on the 4th of August 1790 which was originally called the Revenue Cutter Service.
- The name “cutter” came from the fact that the Congress authorized on that day, a fleet of ten cutters (small boats).
- The name “Coast Guard” did not come about until the year 1915 when the Revenue Cutter Service got merged with the Lifesaving Service.
Facts about Coast Guard Day
- Coast Guard day is considered as an internal activity for Coast Guard employees, their families, and retirees as well as auxiliary units at Grand Haven, Michigan.
- This day is also observed outside Grand Haven.
- Coast Guard day is considered as the biggest community celebration of an Armed Forces Branch in the US and Canada.
- Even though this day is observed in honor of the members of the Coast Guard and their families, everyone is encouraged to observe Coast Guard day.
Activities on Coast Guard Day
Even though August the 4th is chalked out for Coast Guard day, the activities range over a number of days. A few of the several activities are given below:
- Kids’ Day: On this day thousands of kids and their guardians come together to participate in games, face painting, storytelling, arts and crafts and so on.
- Street Dance: A dance is organized in the street usually in the evening and a wide variety of music is played where adults and children alike shake a leg and have lots of fun.
- Car Show: Everyone is invited to this event to indulge in a love for anything on wheels, from vintage cars to motorcycles and from muscle cars to street rods.
- Grand Parade: This is by far the highlight to the celebrations. Usually held on a Saturday, it’s a two hour long parade where military units, marching bands and dignitaries along with several novelty units put up a grand show.
- Ship Tours: In addition to the above activities, several tours of Coast Guard ships are organized.
Coast Guard Day has something for everyone. So when this day approaches, one can check the calendar and plan for a great time with friends and family, while at the same time learning all about the guardian of the national coastline.
Events in August
- National Minority Donor Awareness Day 2014
- National Girlfriends Day 2014
- Friendship Day 2014
- Sister Day 2014
- National Watermelon Day 2014
- National Mustard Day 2014
- British Columbia Day 2014
- National Coast Guard Day 2014
- National Root Beer Float Day 2014
- National Night Out 2014
- Dollar Day 2014
- Iowa State Fair 2014
- Eid Ul-Fitr 2014
- National Polka Day 2014
- Grenada Carnival 2014
- Victory Day 2014
- Kentucky State Fair 2014
- National Navajo Code Talkers Day 2014
- National Creamsicle Day 2014
- National Relaxation Day 2014
- India Independence Day 2014
- National Failures Day 2014
- True Love Forever Day 2014
- National Rum Day 2014
- National Joke Day 2014
- Bad Poetry Day 2014
- National Aviation Day 2014
- National Potato Day 2014
- National Radio Day 2014
- National Thrift Store Day 2014
- National Spumoni Day 2014
- Senior Citizen Day 2014
- Minnesota State Fair 2014
- New York State Fair 2014
- Be an Angel Day 2014
- Daffodil Day 2014
- National Waffle Day 2014
- Notting Hill Carnival 2014
- Womens Equality Day 2014
- National Dog Day 2014
- Dream Day 2014
- Vermont State Fair 2014
- International Bacon Day 2014
- 12World Maths Day 2014
- 12Plant a Flower Day 2014
- 12Girl Scouts Day 2014
- 13Palm Sunday 2014
- 13World Kidney Day 2014
- 13Earmuff Day 2014
- 13National Jewel Day 2014
- 14Pi Day 2014
- 14National Potato Chips Day 2014
- 14Learn About Butterfly Day 2014
- 15National Pears Helene Day 2014
- 15World Consumer Rights Day 2014