Coast Guard day is celebrated every year on the 4th of August in the United States and Canada. It celebrated to mark the foundation of the US Coast guard. Throughout the country, Coast Guard units organize celebrations with the families. The maximum celebrations can be seen in Grand Haven, Michigan, which is also known as “Coast Guard City”.
History of Coast Guard Day
- The Coast Guard was actually first formed on the 4th of August 1790 which was originally called the Revenue Cutter Service.
- The name “cutter” came from the fact that the Congress authorized on that day, a fleet of ten cutters (small boats).
- The name “Coast Guard” did not come about until the year 1915 when the Revenue Cutter Service got merged with the Lifesaving Service.
Facts about Coast Guard Day
- Coast Guard day is considered as an internal activity for Coast Guard employees, their families, and retirees as well as auxiliary units at Grand Haven, Michigan.
- This day is also observed outside Grand Haven.
- Coast Guard day is considered as the biggest community celebration of an Armed Forces Branch in the US and Canada.
- Even though this day is observed in honor of the members of the Coast Guard and their families, everyone is encouraged to observe Coast Guard day.
Activities on Coast Guard Day
Even though August the 4th is chalked out for Coast Guard day, the activities range over a number of days. A few of the several activities are given below:
- Kids’ Day: On this day thousands of kids and their guardians come together to participate in games, face painting, storytelling, arts and crafts and so on.
- Street Dance: A dance is organized in the street usually in the evening and a wide variety of music is played where adults and children alike shake a leg and have lots of fun.
- Car Show: Everyone is invited to this event to indulge in a love for anything on wheels, from vintage cars to motorcycles and from muscle cars to street rods.
- Grand Parade: This is by far the highlight to the celebrations. Usually held on a Saturday, it’s a two hour long parade where military units, marching bands and dignitaries along with several novelty units put up a grand show.
- Ship Tours: In addition to the above activities, several tours of Coast Guard ships are organized.
Coast Guard Day has something for everyone. So when this day approaches, one can check the calendar and plan for a great time with friends and family, while at the same time learning all about the guardian of the national coastline.