Documents Required for K1 Visa

What is a K1 Visa?

K1 Visa is a dual intent visa that allows the citizens of United States to bring their foreign fiance/fiancee to the USA with the purpose of getting married in the states within 90 days of entry. Once the couple marries, the foreign citizen can adjust status to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States (Green Card holder).

The documents needed for most K-1 Visa applications are listed below.

  • Form I-129F Petition must be completely filled and signed by Alien Fiance.
  • Completed and signed Forms G-325A for you and your Fiancée.
  • One Non-immigrant Fiance Visa Application, Form DS-156K and Payment of fees.
  • Recently taken two color photos (2"X2") of you and your spouse.
  • Financial statements.
  • A valid passport with a minimum of six months validity beyond the applicant's planned period of stay in the US.
  • Proof of evidence that you have met your alien fiancé/fiancée (Ex: letters, phone records etc).
  • Affidavit of Support, Form I-134/I-864 should be sent by American sponsor to show he or she has an income or assets that are above the poverty line in the petitioner's state of residence.
  • If previously married, you must provide divorce decrees or death certificate of spouse for both the applicant and the petitioner (if applicable)
  • If you or your Fiancée are using a name other than on the relevant document, you must submit the legal documents showing how your name change has occurred (such as: marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order).
  • Evidence of your citizenship (certificate of naturalization, certificate of citizenship, or U.S. birth certificate).
  • Applicants past three years' tax returns or past three years' tax return of other sponsors, if any.
  • Medical examination (form I-693).
  • Police certificate from all places lived since age 16.
  • Evidence to show that the applicant is in relation with his/her fiance/fiancee. (Photos of engagement).
  • Letter of Intent stating that you will marry the non-US citizen within 90 days upon arrival into the United States.

K1 Visa Related Articles