A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa for the students of all nationalities issued by the United States. Students can participate and learn the programs that promote cultural exchange, and to obtain medical or business training within the U.S. As the visa applies to exchange visitors, applicants must meet the eligibility conditions of the US in order to process the visa.
Documents needed for a J1 visa are as follows:
- The Appointment Confirmation Letter.
- The J1 visa application and processing fee paid by cashier's order.
- The Visa application form DS-156 must be electronically completed, printed and signed.
- A valid passport.
- A 5cm X 5cm photograph of the applicant against white background, attached to the DS-156.
- Any male applicants between 16-45 years of age must also provide form DS-157.
- Proof of Income/Employment of the applicants.
- Proof of finances (such as bank or investment account statements).
- J1 visitors must carry DS-2019 form generated by SEVIS for each family member, such that they can stay in the U.S till the end of their exchange program.
- Must carry a passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of arrival in the United States.
- Completed form DS-158 of contact and work information.
- Exit permit (Only for male residents of Singapore or PRs liable for National or Reserve Service).
- DS-7002 for trainee or intern applicants only.
- Supplemental visa form DS-157 for certain applicants.
- Evidence of sufficient financial support during their intended stay to cover the applicants’ expenses.
- Any documents required by specific consulates.
- A detailed written description of the objectives and content of the exchange program, including a specific training program if the position includes any on-the-job training.
J1 Visa Related Articles