FLag Day Quotes
"We do not consecrate the flag by punishing its desecration, for in doing so we dilute the freedom that this cherished emblem represents."
- FLag Day Quotes by Justice William J. Brennan, for the Majority US Supreme Court Decision, 3 July 1989
"I am whatever you make me, nothing more." - Franklin Knight Lane
"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
- FLag Day Quotes by Francis Bellamy, The Youth's Companion, 8 September 1892
"It is the flag just as much of the man who was naturalized yesterday as of the men whose people have been here many generations."
- FLag Day Quotes by Henry Cabot Lodge
"Have not I myself known five hundred living soldiers sabred into crows' meat for a piece of glazed cotton, which they call their flag; which had you sold it at any market-cross, would not have brought above three groschen?"
- FLag Day Quotes by Thomas Carlyle, "Sartor Resartus"
"When Freedom from her mountain height
Unfurled her standard to the air."
- FLag Day Quotes by Joseph Rodman Drake, The American Flag
"I swing before your eyes as a bright gleam of color, a symbol of yourself, the pictured suggestion of that big thing which makes this nation."
- FLag Day Quotes by Franklin Knight Lane
"The whole inspiration of our life as a nation flows out from the waving folds of this banner."
- FLag Day Quotes by Author Unknown
"There is not a thread in it but scorns self-indulgence, weakness and rapacity."
- FLag Day Quotes by Charles Evans Hughes
"That piece of red, white and blue bunting means five thousand years of struggle upwards. It is the full-grown flower of ages of fighting for liberty. It is the century plant of human hope in bloom."
- FLag Day Quotes by Alvin Owsley
"Your flag and my flag,
And how it flies today
In your land and my land
And half a world away"
- FLag Day Quotes by Wilbur D. Nesbit, Your Flag and My Flag
"We take the stars from heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity, representing our liberty."
- FLag Day Quotes by George Washington, attributed
"If anyone, then, asks me the meaning of our flag, I say to him - it means just what Concord and Lexington meant."
- FLag Day Quotes by Henry Ward Beecher
"The flag of the United States has not been created by rhetorical sentences in declarations of independence and in bills of rights. It has been created by the experience of a great people, and nothing is written upon it that has not been written by their life. It is the embodiment, not of a sentiment, but of a history."
- FLag Day Quotes by Woodrow Wilson
"Oh! say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."
- FLag Day Quotes by Francis Scott Key, The Star-Spangled Banner
More Information About Flag Day
- Flag Day 2013
- FLag Day Quotes
- Flag Day Parade 2013
- Flag Day 2013 Activities
- Flag Day Celebrations
- Flag Day Food & Recipes
- Flag Day Pictures
- Flag Day Around the World