Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day 2014
September 9 is the Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day. This day is observed since 1999 and it provides an opportunity to build awareness and knowledge about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome popularly also called as FAS among your community and your people. Its awareness is important as FAS is not curable but 100% preventable. It is the damage caused to the unborn child because of the mother’s drinking habit that is continued during pregnancy.
Every year on the 9th day of the 9th month at 9:09 am Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day is observed. People all around the world gather together for this event for awareness on the facts and damages done due to drinking during pregnancy. This day is chosen so that the world remembers that during the nine months of pregnancy a woman should stay away from alcohol as it may cause damage to it unborn baby.
It is said that anytime is a good time to raise the awareness for such a disease. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is the name given to problems that arise due to the continuum of physical and mental health. It arises because of the foetus that is exposed to alcohol in uterus. Diagnosis of the same is very difficult and sometimes not done unless a mother discusses its drinking habit with the doctor. Some of the most common characteristics seen in the children whose brain has been damaged are poor impulse control, poor problem solving skills, difficulty in linking themselves into actions and their consequences, poor communication skills and lack of learning skills.
People Suffering from FAS have a great difficulty in internalizing values, feelings and laws and they may also develop inappropriate skills related to social and sexual.
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day: It is very necessary to raise the awareness about the dangers of consuming alcohol during pregnancy and the consequences that may be seen later. Your participation in Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day will ensure a healthier community today and healthier babies in the near future. There is no cure for this disorder but these disabilities can be prevented if you realise it early and apply some intervention strategies.
Taking participation and becoming an activist for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day will not take much hard work and neither much energy of yours. You do not have to do this work all alone you just need to find some partners and also get some media coverage for yourself. Then from the following activity choose any one and your part of work is done.
The activities are:
- Ring some bells on 9th September 9:09 am so that people gets to know about the Feat Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day.
- Host a get together or an informal gathering of families and friends where you can brief them about the disorder and its prevention causes.
- Start a small social group which will go door to door and especially to the maternity hospitals to give the expected mothers knowledge about the Feat Alcohol Syndrome and its Awareness Day.
- You can also plan a Walk Along and round up your city for such a noble cause and give them a T-shirt the ones who are participating inscribed Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day so that people comes to know about such disorder and its day.
As it is said that any day can be chosen to spread the awareness of the disorder so begin the event on 9th day of the 9th month of the year which is worldwide observed as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day.
Events in September
- Canadian Labor Day 2014
- 2014 Labor Day in USA
- Teachers Day 2014
- Grandparents Day 2014
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Awareness Day 2014
- New Mexico State Fair 2014
- Suicide Prevention Day 2014
- Oklahoma State Fair 2014
- Eastern States Fair 2014
- National Peanut Day 2014
- Positive Thinking Day 2014
- National Thank You Day 2014
- National Stepfamily Day 2014
- Mexican Independence Day 2014
- Citizenship Day 2014
- Constitution Day 2014
- National Cheeseburger Day 2014
- Puppy Farm Awareness Day 2014
- Elephant Appreciation Day 2014
- First Day of Autumn 2014
- Ataxia Awareness Day 2014
- Rosh Hashanah 2014
- Texas State Fair 2014
- Native American Day 2014
- Johnny Appleseed Day 2014
- Virginia State Fair 2014
- Fast of Gedaliah 2014
- Gold Star Mother's Day 2014
- National Coffee Day 2014
- 28World Hepatitis Day 2014
- 29National Lasagna Day 2014
- 29Eid Ul-Fitr 2014
- 30National Cheesecake Day 2014
- 31Archaeology Day 2014