Earth Day 2014
Earth Day 2014 theme is "The Face of Climate Change"
Earth Day is commemorated April 22nd each single year, both held yearly during autumn in southern hemisphere and in northern hemisphere. And these are planned to inspire attentiveness and admiration for the Earth's surroundings. The United Nations commemorates an Earth Day every year on March equinox, a custom which was established by peace campaigner John McConnell in 1969. A second Earth Day, which was established through U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an ecological teach-in in 1970, is commemorated in several countries every year on 22nd April.
History of the April 22 Earth Day
In September 1969 at a meeting in Seattle, Washington, U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin declared that in spring 1970 there would be a national grassroots revelation on the surroundings. And this occurred throughout a time of apprehension about overpopulation and when there was a brawny movement towards "Zero Population Growth." Gaylord Nelson analyzed the stabilization of nation's inhabitants as an imperative aspect of conservationism and afterward said:
The bigger the population gets, the less serious the problems become ... We have to address the population issue. The United Kingdom, with the U.S. supporting it, took the position in Cairo in 1994 that every country was responsible for stabilizing its own population. It can be done. But in this country, it's phony to say 'I'm for the environment but not for limiting immigration.'
Gaylord Nelson primary proposed the national environmental remonstration to thrust the surroundings onto the nationwide program.” "It was a gamble," he evokes, "but it worked."
Facing Five months, the first April 22nd Earth Day, on Sunday, November 30, 1969, The New York Times carried a prolonged article through Gladwin Hill reporting on rising hysteria of "global cooling.
"Rising concern about the environmental crisis is sweeping the nation's campuses with an intensity that may be on its way to eclipsing student discontent over the war in Vietnam...a national day of execution of environmental problems...is being planned for next spring...when a nationwide environmental 'teach-in'...coordinated from the office of Senator Gaylord Nelson is planned...." Senator Nelson hired Denis Hayes as a coordinator.
22nd April, 1970, Earth Day marks the opening of contemporary environmental association. Approximately 20 million Americans contributed, with an objective of a vigorous, sustainable atmosphere.
Denis Hayes, the national manager, and his old employees organized gigantic coast-to-coast rallies. And Thousands of colleges and universities prearranged protests aligned with the corrosion of the atmosphere. Associations that had been fighting aligned with power plants, polluting factories and oil spills, raw sewage, pesticides, the loss of wilderness, freeways, toxic dumps, and the extermination of wildlife abruptly comprehended they shared frequent values.
Organizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting the rank of ecological issues onto the world stage, Earth Day on 22nd April in 1990 gave a vast boost up to recycling attempts all-inclusive and helped cover the way for 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro.
Earth Day 2007 was one of leading Earth Days to date, with an estimated billion citizens taking part in the activities in thousands of places like Caracas, Ukraine; Kiev, Tuvalu, Philippines, Manila, Venezuela, Togo, Spain, New York, London, and Madrid.
Founded through the organizers of primary April 22 Earth Day in 1970, Earth Day Network endorses environmental nationality and year round progressive act universal. Earth Day Network is a lashing force steering ecological attentiveness around the world. And Through the Earth Day Network, activists fix change in local, nationwide, and worldwide policies. The Earth Day Network’s international network reaches above 17,000 associations in 174 countries, while a domestic program connects 5,000 groups and above 25,000 educators organizing millions of population development and ecological protection activities all through the year. The Earth Day is an only event commemorated concurrently around the world through people of all nationalities backgrounds, and faiths. In excess of a half billion people contribute in Earth Day Network crusades each year.
Criticisms of Earth Day
Some ecologists have become decisive of Earth Day, mainly those in Bright green environmentalism camp. And they accuse that the Earth Day has come to signify the marginalization of ecological sustainability, and that the commemoration itself has survived its usefulness.
Earth Day Symbol
|Earth Day attaches no local or disruptive set of symbols, no statement of the truth or control of one way of life over another.But the selection of the March Equinox makes earthly observance of a mutual event possible, and a flag which shows the Earth as seen from space suitable.|
Earth Day Flag
|According to Flags of the globe, the Ecology Flag was formed by cartoonist Ron Cobb, and was published for the first time in October 25, 1969. The flag was after the flag of the United States, and had thirteen stripes alternating green and white. Flag canton was green through a yellow theta. It first had a symbol that was a combination of the letters "E" and "O" taken from the words "Environment" and "Organism", correspondingly. Later flags used also a theta because of its historic utilize as a warning symbol, or the peace symbol|
Earth Day Quotes
1. "After a visit to the beach, it's hard to believe that we live in a material world."- Earth Day Quotes By Pam Shaw
2. "We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive." - Earth Day Quotes By Albert Einstein
3. Till now man has been up against Nature; from now on he will be up against his own nature. - Earth Day Quotes By Dennis Gabor (Back in 1964)
4. Nature’s laws affirm instead of prohibit. If you violate her laws you are your own prosecuting attorney, judge, jury, and hangman. - Earth Day Quotes By Luther Burbank
5. It is not man the ecological crisis threatens to destroy, but the quality of human life. - Earth Day Quotes By RenÃ© Dubos
6. "When the well's dry, we know the worth of water." - Earth Day Quotes By Benjamin Franklin, (1706 - 1790), Poor Richard's Almanac.
7. "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - Earth Day Quotes By John Muir
8. Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Earth Day Quotes By Margaret Mead
9. When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. - Earth Day Quotes By John Muir
10. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if mankind is to survive. - Earth Day Quotes By Albert Einstein
11. "When the well's dry, we know the worth of water." - Earth Day Quotes By Benjamin Franklin, (1706-1790), Poor Richard's Almanac.
12. "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed."- Earth Day Quotes By Mohandas K. Gandhi quoted in EF Schumacher, Small is Beautiful.
13. "Every day is Earth Day." - Earth Day Quotes By Unkown
More Information About Earth Day
- Earth Day Quotes
- Earth Day Theme Song
- Earth Day Race
- Earth Day Pictures
- Earth Day Ideas
- Earth Day Food & Recipes
- Earth Day Events
- Earth Day Crafts
- Earth Day Celebration
- Earth Day Activities
- Earth Day Trees
- 07National Cereal Day 2014
- 08International Womens Day 2014
- 08Middle Name Pride Day 2014
- 08National Alfred Hitchcock Day 2014
- 09Panic Day 2014
- 09Daylight Savings Time 2014
- 09National Crab Meat Day 2014
- 10Victoria Labor Day 2014
- 10Tasmania Labor Day 2014
- 10National Blueberry Popover Day 2014
- 11National Worship of Tools Day 2014
- 11Plumbers Day 2014