British Citizenship Application Forms and Appeals

Once the eligible applicant has passed the British citizenship Online Test the process of applying for indefinite leave to remain begins. There are 2 types of forms to be submitted for ILR – Form SET (M) and Form SET (O).

Form SET (M)

This is the form to be submitted by those who are applying to appeal for a settlement as they are having their family, married or civil partner as a British Citizen. The other guidelines are:

1. If you have a temporary permit to live in the UK due to the presence of your partner.

2. If you have been a resident of the UK for at least 2 years.

3. If you are planning to live in the country for a longer period.

This same form can be used for joint applications for related persons such as children or parents. The main clause is that in case of children the age of the child should be less than 18 years.

Form SET (O)

This is the form to be submitted by those who are applying to appeal for a settlement in the following categories:

1. The applicant belongs to the Tier 1 or 2 of the points based system

2. The applicant has a work permit

3. The applicant is an innovator

4. The applicant is an investor

5. The applicant is a private servant for a diplomat

6. The applicant is a domestic worker employed with a private household

7. The applicant is associated with a newspaper or news agency

8. The applicant is an overseas government employee

9. The applicant is a practicing lawyer

10. The applicant is of British ancestry

11. The applicant is under Highly Skilled Migrant Program

12. The applicant is the minster or member of a religious outfit

13. The applicant is an artist, composer or a writer

However there are some groups which are exempt from taking the test and can submit the application forms for settlement. They are:

1. Foreign nationals or citizens of the common wealth nations discharged from HM forces and their spouses.

2. Bereaved partners of the citizens and their dependants.

3. Retired persons who have independent means of living.

Turkish ECAA nationals and EEA/EU nationals.