Back to School Quotes
"If there were no schools to take the children away from home part of the time, the insane asylums would be filled with mothers."
- Back to School by Edgar W. Howe
"Being a child at home alone in the summer is a high-risk occupation. If you call your mother at work thirteen times an hour, she can hurt you."
- Back to School by Erma Bombeck
"Labor Day is a glorious holiday because your child will be going back to school the next day. It would have been called Independence Day, but that name was already taken."
- Back to School by Bill Dodds
"The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows."
- Back to School by Sydney J. Harris
"You send your child to the schoolmaster, but 'tis the schoolboys who educate him."
- Back to School by Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Holidays are enticing only for the first week or so. After that, it is no longer such a novelty to rise late and have little to do."
- Back to School by Margaret Laurence
"The simplest schoolboy is now familiar with truths for which Archimedes would have given his life."
- Back to School by Ernest Renan
"Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself."
- Back to School by John Dewey
"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives."
- Back to School by Robert Maynard Hutchins
"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."
- Back to School by Lily Tomlin
"The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder".
- Back to School by Ralph W. Sockman
"What we want is to see the child in pursuit of knowledge, and not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- Back to School by George Bernard Shaw
"The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet."
- Back to School by Aristotle
"A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep."
- Back to School by W.H. Auden
"A cross-eyed teacher can keep twice the number of children in order than any other, because the pupils do not know who she's looking at."
- Back to School by John R. Kemble, 1902
"Anyone who thinks the art of conversation is dead ought to tell a child to go to bed."
- Back to School by Robert Gallagher
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Back to School by Mark Twain
"It doesn't make much difference what you study, as long as you don't like it."
- Back to School by Finley Peter Dunne
"You can get all A's and still flunk life."
- Back to School by Walker Percy
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school."
- Back to School by Albert Einstein
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
- Back to School by Attributed to both Andy McIntyre and Derek Bok
"Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army."
- Back to School by Edward Everett
"He who opens a school door, closes a prison."
- Back to School by Victor Hugo
"Why should society feel responsible only for the education of children, and not for the education of all adults of every age?"
- Back to School by Erich Fromm
"Education aims to give you a boost up the ladder of knowledge. Too often, it just gives you a cramp on one of its rungs."
- Back to School by Martin H. Fischer
"Education would be much more effective if its purpose was to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they do not know, and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it."
- Back to School by William Haley
"Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog."
- Back to School by Doug Larson
"Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
- Back to School by Malcolm S. Forbes
"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing worth knowing can be taught."
- Back to School by Oscar Wilde
"Children have to be educated, but they have also to be left to educate themselves."
- Back to School by Abbé Dimnet
"When a subject becomes totally obsolete we make it a required course."
- Back to School by Peter Drucker
"Education is the movement from darkness to light."
- Back to School by Allan Bloom
"Much education today is monumentally ineffective. All too often we are giving young people cut flowers when we should be teaching them to grow their own plants."
- Back to School by John W. Gardner
"Education is not filling a pail but the lighting of a fire."
- Back to School by William Butler Yeats
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated."
- Back to School by Al McGuire
"Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know."
- Back to School by Daniel J. Boorstin
"The founding fathers... provided jails called schools, equipped with tortures called education. School is where you go between when your parents can't take you and industry can't take you."
- Back to School by John Updike
"The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions."
- Back to School by Bishop Mandell Creighton
"You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives."
- Back to School by Clay P. Bedford
"When the student is ready, the master appears."
- Back to School by Buddhist Proverb
"You learn something every day if you pay attention."
- Back to School by Ray LeBlond
"The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr."
- Back to School by Mohammed
"Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere."
- Back to School by Chinese Proverb
"All the world is a laboratory to the inquiring mind."
- Back to School by Martin H. Fischer
"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught."
- Back to School by Winston Churchill
"The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live."
- Back to School by Mortimer Adler
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."
- Back to School by Thomas Szasz
"I am what the librarians have made me with a little assistance from a professor of Greek and a few poets."
- Back to School by Bernard Keble Sandwell
"Learn as much as you can while you are young, since life becomes too busy later."
- Back to School by Dana Stewart Scott
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."
- Back to School by Alvin Toffler
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
- Back to School by Henry Brooks Adams
"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
- Back to School by William Arthur Ward
"The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind."
- Back to School by Kahlil Gibran