Every year there are thousands of people who immigrate to Australia. People choose Australia either to pursue their higher studies, to establish business or just to live there. Other than Australia, there are other popular places like New Zealand, Canada and the United States.
If a couple is looking forward to going to Australia on a parent visa they have to follow a particular procedure. Below are a few things to know about Australian Parent Visa.
Factors that determine processing order for parents:
- Parents who have been sponsored and have their children who are Australian citizens residing in the country.
- Parents who have been sponsored by most of their children who are Australian citizens and been residing in Australia.
- Parents who have been sponsored and have minority of their children who are Australian citizens residing in Australia.
- Parents who have been sponsored and have all their children who are non-Australian citizens residing in Australia.
- Parents who have been sponsored by most of their children who are non- Australian citizens and been residing in Australia.
- Parents who have been sponsored and have minority of their children who are non-Australian citizens residing in Australia.
Many parents would have common questions like, what is the procedure for parents to stay with their child who is a permanent resident in Australia. Therefore, if parent’s wants to live permanently in Australia and their children are permanent residents of the country, then parents can apply for a parent visa.
Australian Parents Visa Requirements
- At least one child must be an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand resident or Australian permanent resident.
- The child must be a resident for at least 2 years in Australia.
- The child should also be willing to sponsor the parent.
- The child should be of legal age which is 18 years or above.
- The parent has to pass a test known as the balance of family test
- You should have at least a majority of your children residing permanently living in Australia.
- Your children should be permanently and lawfully residing in Australia as compared to any other country.
- A parent should have an assured support.
We can further divide the Parent Visa in two categories:
- This visa is given to a person who is not old enough to be given an old age pension. The conditions to apply for this visa are given below:
- The parent who is applying should be of a working age of the person who is residing in Australia. The person should have a permanent residence of at least 2 years or should be eligible New Zealand resident.
- When the person is applying for the visa, he/she should be outside Australia.
- The person also has to clear the “balance of family test” and more than half of the applicant’s children must be residing in Australia.
- The person who is applying should be sponsored and should also have an assured support in Australia.
Aged Parent Visa
This visa is quite similar to the Parent Visa. This visa is given to a person who is quite old. The person can be given an Australian Aged Pension.
This visa can be applied if the person is either inside or outside the country.