To become a formal member of Australian society and enjoy the citizenship benefits, initially you need to apply for Australian citizenship. After you decide to send the application form, the first thing that you need to do is check whether you have all the Australian citizenship eligibility requirements. Once your application is accepted, you can have the citizenship rights, privileges and opportunities and need not go for visas to reside in Australia.
The steps that are involved in the Australian citizenship procedure are –
- Determine and analyze the eligibility conditions.
- Complete and lodge your application along with the required documents.
- Pass the citizenship test with the required percentage.
- Finish the citizenship processing.
However, the Australian citizenship eligibility requirements vary from person to person based on their status of living, age, place of birth etc.
It is mandatory that all persons who are planning to apply for citizenship must have the permanent resident status unless they satisfy the following conditions –
- Have rendered services in Australian Defense Forces for at least three months or in Australian Reserve Forces for at least six months.
- Born in Australia or born to the Australian parents.
- Married to an Australian citizen.
- Widow or widower of an Australian citizen.
Those who are born overseas to Australian parents can also lodge the Australian citizenship application by descent provided they are below 25 years of age and fulfill all the additional requirements of the application processing.
Australian citizenship eligibilities:
To qualify for citizenship you need to satisfy the following Australian citizenship eligibility criteria-
- You must have been residing in Australia in permanent resident status for the last two years in the previous five years (varies based on personal circumstances).
- You must possess adequate knowledge of English unless you are aged 50 or over.
- You must have enough understanding of the rights and responsibilities of being an Australian Citizen.
- You must be willing to stay long-term in Australia, or maintain a close and continuing association with Australian community.
- You must be over 18 years of age and must be of good character (must provide references and criminal records).
- Pass computer based Australian citizenship test having 20 multiple choice questions with 75% marks.