Alexander Graham Bell Day 2015
Alexander Bell is best known for inventing the telephone. We all tend to take the telephone for granted. Today in a world where every new model of SmartPhone is soon overtaken by another, it is important to remember the humble beginnings of this indispensable device which is part of our everyday lives. Alexander Graham Bell Day is celebrated on the 7th of March each year. This date coincides with the day on which Alexander Bell received the patent for his design of the telephone.
Born in Scotland on 3 March 1847, Alexander Bell was always fascinated with the process of speech transmission.
Young Alexander told his friends that one day it would be possible to transmit speech through telegraph, little knowing that in a way he would be the one to achieve this.
Following the death of his two brothers from tuberculosis, his parents moved to the United States as they felt that it was the only way to keep their remaining child safe.
When Mr Bell first tested his telephone, the first words he uttered over the telephone were to his assistant which were, “Mr Watson, come here, I want to see you".
Alexander was of the belief that a person should not always tread the beaten track. If you go into the woods to explore, he said, you are bound to see new and exciting things. By pursuing these things, you are bound to find something to think about. All great discoveries, he said, are caused by thought.
Activities on this Day
Although there are no set activities for this day, there are quite a lot of telephone-related activities especially as this holiday is created by an act of Congress, the Alexander Graham Bell Day Act, 2005.
You can contribute to this day by calling your friends on the landline preferably and let them know about the day.
It is possible that there will be some meets organized by telephone companies to spread the story of the telephone.
On this day it is likely that there will be some documentaries featuring the story of the telephone and Alexander Bell on the television.
Once you are aware of this day, you can participate in whichever activities are available and make Alexander Graham Bell Day one to remember.
Events in March
- National Old Stuff Day 2015
- Western Australia Labor Day ...
- I Want You To Be Happy Day 2...
- National Anthem Day 2015
- National Pound Cake Day 2015
- Hug a GI Day 2015
- Purim Carnival 2015
- National Cheese Doodle Day 2...
- National Multiple Personalit...
- National Frozen Food Day 201...
- Middle Name Pride Day 2015
- National Dentist Day 2015
- National Cereal Day 2015
- Daylight Savings Time 2015
- National Alfred Hitchcock Da...
- Panic Day 2015
- National Crab Meat Day 2015
- Tasmania Labor Day 2015
- Victoria Labor Day 2015
- National Blueberry Popover D...
- National Worship of Tools Da...
- Plumbers Day 2015
- Plant a Flower Day 2015
- Girl Scouts Day 2015
- National Jewel Day 2015
- Earmuff Day 2015
- Learn About Butterfly Day 20...
- Pi Day 2015
- National Potato Chips Day 20...
- National Pears Helene Day 20...
- Freedom of Information Day 2...
- Boston Evacuation Day 2015
- Evacuation Day 2015
- St Patricks Day 2015
- Supreme Sacrifice Day 2015
- Kick Butts Day 2015
- National Poultry Day 2015
- Extraterrestrial Abductions ...
- National Ravioli Day 2015
- National French Bread Day 20...
- Near Miss Day 2015
- National Chip and Dip Day 20...
- National Puppy Day 2015
- National Chocolate Covered R...
- American Diabetes Alert Day ...
- Spinach Festival Day 2015
- National Nougat Day 2015
- National Spanish Paella Day ...
- National Joe Day 2015
- National Black Forest Cake D...
- Palm Sunday 2015
- Smoke and Mirrors Day 2015
- National Lemon Chiffon Cake ...
- I Am In Control Day 2015
- National Doctor's Day 2015
- Eiffel Tower Day 2015
- National Bunsen Burner Day 2...
- 27Thanksgiving Day 2014
- 27Thanksgiving Day in Australia
- 28Black Friday 2014
- 28Buy Nothing Day 2014
- 30St Andrews Day 2014
- 30Carers Rights Day 2014