River Phoenix Birth Details
River Jude Phoenix was born on August 23, 1970.
- River Phoenix was American film actor.
- He was nominated for Academy Award and Golden Globe awards.
- He was rated on John Willis's Screen World, as one of the “promising new actors of 1986".
- He was recognized as a highly talented actor by critics, Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel.
- He was the elder brother of actor Joaquin Phoenix.
River Phoenix Early Life
- River Phoenix was born in Metolius, Oregon.
- His mother was Arlyn Sharon and had Jewish parents.
- His father was John Lee Bottom.
- He was a Catholic from Fontana, California.
- In 1968, His mother moved to California, where she met his father.
- They married in 1969 and started working as missionaries and fruit pickers in South America. he had four siblings.
- All of them were younger to him.
- He had a brother, Joaquin, and three sisters, Rain, Summer, and Liberty.
- He also had an older half sister from his father's previous relationship, Jodene (who later changed her name to 'Trust').
- In an interview session with Details magazine, He confessed that he lost his virginity at age four for the cult, the Children of God. He also stated, "But I've blocked it out.I was completely celibate from 10 to14”.
- In 1979, River Phoenix family officially adopted the surname "Phoenix" as a sign of their rebirth to a new life.
- He saw poverty in his family during his upbringing.
- He and his sister use to earn for the family, singing on the streets of Caracas, Venezuela.
- He parents were working as missionaries.
- The family finally settled in Florida in 1987.
River Phoenix Filmography
- In 1985 for “Explorers” River Phoenix, Won: Young Artist Award: Exceptional performance by a young actor.
- In 1986 for his performance in Stand by Me , The Mosquito Coast, A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon he again Won: Young Artist Award:
- In 1988, for his outstanding performance in “Running on Empty” as Danny Pope/Michael Manfield, He was nominated the Best Supporting Actor by the Academy Awards and Golden Globe. He also won the National Board of Review, Best Supporting Actor award for the same.
- In 1991 he performed in “My Own Private Idaho” as Mike Waters and won, Volpi Cup for the Best Actor. He also won: National Society of Film Critics: Best Actor and Independent Spirit Award: Best Actor for the sanme performance.
River Phoenix also portrayed in films such as:
- Dogfight” (1991)
- Sneakers (1992),
- The Thing Called Love as James Wright in 1993,
- Even Cowgirls Get the Blues (1994) ,
- Dark Blood ( which could not be released due to incompletion)
- “Silent Tongue” (1994).
River Phoenix Television Work
- River Phoenix worked in a series from 1982-83, “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” and was nominated: 1982 Young Artist Award: Best performance for TV series as well as 1983 Young Artist Award: Best performance for TV series.
- In 1984, He worked in miniseries Celebrity.
- In 1984, He performed in “Backwards: The Riddle of Dyslexia and was nominated, Young Artist Award: Best Young Actor in a film made for television.
- In 1985, He played a role in “Robert Kennedy & His Times”
- In 1985, “Surviving” won the Young Artist Award: Best Young Actor television.
- In 1986, He performed in “Circle of Violence: A Family Drama”.
River Phoenix Death
- River Phoenix died at the age of 23.
- On October 31, 1993, he collapsed and died of a drug overdose.
- He had consumed heroin and cocaine in a Hollywood night club.
- On the same night, He was planned to perform onstage with Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Before the show, He went to the bathroom to take drugs with various friends and dealers. It was later found that he was offered some Persian Brown drug, which he inhaled.
- Soon after snorting the drug he felt uneasy and sick and after leaving the Viper Room, He collapsed and quivered for few minutes and died.