When did she Disappear?
Madeleine McCann is a three year old girl disappeared on 3rd May 2007 from the resort of Praia da Luz, in Portugal, and is still not found.
How did Madeleine McCann disappear?
- Madeleine McCann was British and was on a holiday with her mother Kate and father Gerry McCann and siblings.
- Madeleine disappeared from an apartment in the central area of the resort.
- Madeleine McCann parents have said that they left her in a ground floor bedroom with her two-year-old twin siblings.
- The children were UN supervised in that room while they went to ate at a restaurant about 130 yards away.
Initial Investigation in Madeleine McCann Disappear
- The initial investigation by the Portuguese criminal investigation police, concluded that she had been abducted.
- Progressive investigation leads to hypothesis that she might have died in her room.
- The investigation was the co-operated by the British and Portuguese police.
Suspect in Madeleine McCann Disappearing
- On 15th May, Robert Murat, a local resident, was declared arguido (suspect) status.
- In September 2007, her parents Kate and Gerry McCann were also named as Arguidos.
- But all three were acquitted of the doubt and freed on 21 July 2008 and the Portuguese Attorney General had to close the case without a consequence.
- The disappearance of the kid and its after effects were valuable for the media coverage. This was due to the stringent involvement of the parents in publicizing the case and the interest taken by several awareness campaigns led by international celebrities and also because the parents being named as suspects.
- The event also resulted in controversy surrounding the Portuguese-led police investigation and the negligence of Madeleine's parents.
- The incident was also criticized due to the excessive and redundant publicity of the disappearance in both the Portuguese and British media.
- During the investigation British authorities work in full coordination with the Portuguese police to find Madeleine.
- As soon as the disappearance was reported the experts from Britain reached to assist the Portuguese police experts.
- Leicestershire Police also sent family liaison officers to assist the McCann family.
- On May 9, Interpol also released a yellow notice, published to help find missing persons.
- A team of mobile phone experts reached Portugal on 29 May 2007 to scrutinize the mobile phone data collected from the area at the time of the abduction.
- They used triangulation techniques to follow mobile phone movements in a couple of yards.
- British Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre experts landed Portugal on July 31 to help out the local detectives, by developing a psychological profile of a probable abductor.
- In August, British detectives again went to Portugal with specially trained sniffer dogs. They also carried apparatus for underground detection and ultraviolet instruments to recognize blood.
- An official site to search Madeleine was established.
- A fund-raising company, known as “Madeleine's Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned” was also launched.
- The company decided not to pay from the Fund for the McCanns' legal costs. Many political leaders and sporting personalities appealed and offer handsome money rewards.
- The parents were condemn world wide for leaving their children alone in the apartment while went to enjoy in the restaurant.
- They should have availed the babysitting service or a crèche.
- Police also interrogated the couple about why the children were left alone in an apartment and the doors were unlocked, while they dined at the restaurant.
- In an interview with the BBC, the Madeleine’s parents accepted the criticism, and expressed guilt they felt.
- In a press conference in Germany, when radio reporter Sabina Müller blamed that their conduct and manners were not normal for people whose child had been abducted, they denied any involvement in the disappearance of their daughter.
Personal Details of victim
- Madeleine Beth McCann was daughter of Kate and Gerry McCann.
- She was born in 2003 in Leicester.
- There were five members in her family, her parents and younger twin siblings, Brother Sean and sister Amelie, residents of in Rothley, Leicestershire.
- A distinguished identification is her right eye where the pupil is prolonged into the iris to form of a black radial strip.
- This has been made use of in publicizing the search for her incorporating the word 'LOOK'.