International Day of Cooperatives 2016 theme is "___________", 2015 theme is"Choose co-operative, choose equality" and 2014 theme is "Co-operative enterprises achieve sustainable development for all"
When is Celebrated?
International day of Co-Operatives is celebrated on 2nd July.
Why is Celebrated?
United nation or shortly UN realizes and re-establishes the importance of cooperative in social, economic and cultural progress.How it imparts its importance in reaching the goal of social policy objectives which was fixed at various resolutions specifically to cooperatives. Also its prescribed role is at bi-ennial publication in the report of the Secretary- General. During resolution 47/90 of 16th December in the year 1992, the General Assembly declared "the first Saturday of July 1995 to be International Day of Cooperatives, marking the centenary of the establishment of the International Cooperative Alliance, and decides to consider the possibility of observing an international day of cooperatives in future years …”
How is Celebrated?
International day of Co-Operatives are being celebrated in several ways all over the globe.
Following is the list of few of the activities arranged by co-operatives all over the world:
- The messages of United Nations and the ICA are converted into local languages.
- Then these are thoroughly distributed to media, co-operators and all the government officials from different level.
- Co-operatives create its propaganda through newspapers and radio programs in order to make people aware of their movements, activities and contributions.
- Various fairs, exhibitions, campaigns, and contests are also arranged by Co-operatives.
- Meetings with several agencies of United Nations, government officials and different partner organizations are also organized.
- Different co-operatives ties up with several community agencies in order to organize different challenges like tree plantation, blood drives etc for environmental, health, social and economic development.
- Different cultural events like concerts, dance show, theatre etc are also planned during this celebration.
Slogan and Resolution of International day of Co-Operatives in different Year
- 1995 was the first year of UN International Day of Cooperatives. Slogan was "The ICA Centennial and the Next 100 Years of International Co-operation”.
- 1996 was the year of second UN International Day of Cooperatives. The slogan was "Co-operative Enterprise: Empowerment for People-centered Sustainable Development".
- 1997 was the year of third UN International Day of Cooperatives. Slogan was "The Co-operative Contribution to World Food Security".
- 1998 was the year of fourth UN International Day of Cooperatives. Resolution for that year was” Cooperatives and the Globalization of the Economy".
- 1999 was the fifth UN International Day of Cooperatives. Its resolution was "Public Policy and Co-operative Legislation".
- 2000 was the year of sixth UN International Day of Cooperatives. Objective of that year was” Co-operatives and Employment Promotion".
- 2001 was the seventh UN International Day of Cooperatives. Slogan for that year was "The Co-operative Advantage in the Third Millennium".
- 2002 was the year of eighth UN International Day of Cooperatives. That year's resolution was "Society and Co-operatives: Concern for Community"
- 2003 was the year of ninth UN International Day of Cooperatives. This year's objective was "Co-operatives Make Development Happen!: The contribution of co-operatives to the United Nations Millennium Development Goals".
- 2004 was the year of tenth UN International Day of Cooperatives. That year it came with the objective of “Co-operatives for Fair Globalisation: Creating Opportunities for All".
- 2005 was the year of eleventh International Day of Cooperatives. Objective of that year was "Micro finance is OUR business: Cooperating out of poverty".
- 2006 was the twelfth International Day of Cooperatives. That year's celebration was based on the slogan of "Peace-Building through Cooperatives".
- Last year or year 2007 was the thirteenth celebration of International Day of Cooperatives. Last year the theme of the celebration was "Cooperative Values and Principles for Corporate Social Responsibility".
Who does decide International day of Co-Operatives Theme?
All those above themes are being decided by United Nations Secretary-General.