World meteorological day 2016 theme is "Hotter. Drier. Wetter. Face the Future".
World meteorological day 2015 theme is "Climate Knowledge for Climate Action " and 2014 theme is "Weather and climate: engaging youth"
World Meteorological Day Significance
World Meteorology Day is observed on 23 March every year. Commemorates the founding of the World Meteorological Organization by the WMO Convention in 1950. Marks a significant occasion for the World Meteorological Organization. Is celebrated by 188 members of the World Meteorological Organization worldwide. In 1951, the WMO was designated a specialized agency of the United Nations.
The World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Originated from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO). IMO was founded in 1873 and established in 1950. World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is a specialized agency of United Nations dealing with:
- Meteorology (weather and climate),
- Operational hydrology
- Geophysical sciences
World Meteorological Day Objectives
World Meteorological Day is celebrated keeping in mind the following aims:
- To promote global cooperation in the establishment of meteorological observation stations.
- To promote establishment of stations for hydrological and geophysical observations.
- To promote maintenance and upkeep of observation stations and equip them adequately with resources for research and equipment.
- To promote the establishment and maintenance of systems for the rapid exchange of meteorological and related information
- To promote standardization of meteorological and related observations and to ensure the uniform publication of observations and statistics
- To increase the scope of meteorology to other areas like aviation, shipping, water problems, agriculture and other human activities;
- To promote development in operational hydrology and encourage close co-operation between Meteorological and hydrologicalServices;
- To promote research and training in meteorology and in related fields.
- To promote international collaboration in research and training.
World Meteorological Day Message
World Meteorological Day is celebrated to deliver the following messages to the public:
- Provide information for better understanding of climatic variability and change.
- Assist in understanding the impact of meteorology on environment and surroundings.
- Ways to implement climatic application to address environmental concerns.
World Meteorological Day Themes
Let us now observe WMO themes that have been adopted in the past five years:
- 2014 Theme - Weather and climate: engaging youth
- 2013 Theme - Watching the weather to protect life and property
- 2012 Theme - Powering our future with weather, climate and water
- 2011 Theme - Climate for you
- 2010 Theme - 60 years of service for your safety and well-being
- 2009 Theme - Weather, climate and the air we breathe
- 2008 Theme - Observing our planet for a better future
- 2007 Theme - Polar meteorology: Understanding global impacts
- 2006 Theme - Preventing and mitigating natural disasters
- 2005 Theme - Weather, climate, water and sustainable development
- 2004 Theme - Weather, climate, water in the information age
- 2003 Theme - Our future climate