Grace Jones is a multi-talented Jamaican- American lady who has made a mark as a:
As a model and fashion icon, Grace Jones reinforced the idea that “black is beautiful”.
Background Information of Grace Jones:
- Grace Jones was born on May 19, 1948 in Spanish Town, Jamaica.
- Jones birth name is Grace Mendoza.
- Grace Jones family moved to Syracuse, New York while she was still in her teens.
- Jones studied theatre at the Syracuse University in New York.
- After a series of failed relationships, Grace Jones married a bodyguard who she later divorces.
- Grace Jones has a son with Jean-Paul Goude- her one time beau.
- In 1996, Grace Jones married a man who was 3 decades younger than her.
- Since 2007, Jones has been living in Tivoli Gardens.
Career of Grace Jones:
- Before Grace Jones stepped into movies and music, Grace was already a successful model in Paris.
- Grace Jones androgynous looks and figure made her a gay- cult icon in America.
- Jones subsequently earned the title “Queen of Gay Discos”.
- Grace association with Island Records led to a series of hit disco albums and singles, some of which include:
- Portfolio (1977)
- Fame (1978)
- Muse (1979)
Grace Jones constantly renewed her singing style and some of her New Wave music include:
- Warm Leatherette (1980)
- Nightclubbing (1981)
- Slave to the Rhythm (1985)
- Bulletproof Heart (1989)
Along with Jones music, she also overhauled her appearance and looks frequently which gave her a new identity in the industry.
- "I'm Not Perfect (But I'm Perfect for You)", "Love on Top of Love", "Killer Kiss" are among her chart topping creations.
- As a contralto vocalist, Jones sings in monotones as well as soprano mode.
- Grace Jones has a well-developed vocal range and versatile style.
- Her live concerts were marked by outrageous costumes and iconic style statements.
- Grace Jones sang the OST for a television series- “The Avengers” in 1998.
- In 2000, Grace came out with another hit song “The Perfect Crime”.
- Jones performed stage shows and concerts with Pavarotti to support the cause of Angolan refugees in Zambia.
- After a hiatus from music, she hit back with “Slave to the Rhythm” in 2004.
- In 2006, she also walked the ramp for Diesel as a celebrity model.
- Grace Jones first proper movie role was in “Conan the Destroyer” (1984)
- She also acted in a James Bond movie “A View to Kill” in 1985.
- Her other movies include “Vamp” (1986), “Boomerang” (1992) and “Wolf Girl” (2001).
Grace Jones also appeared on various television shows and series like:
- A One Man Show (1982)
- Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special (1988)
- Wolf Girl (2001)
- Shaka Zulu: The Citadel (2001)
Awards and Honors to Grace Jones:
- Grace Jones Nominated by Saturn Awards for Best Supporting Actress for “Conan the Destroyer” in 1985.
- Jones Nominated by Saturn Awards for Best Supporting Actress for “A View to Kill” in 1986.
- Grace Nominated by Saturn Awards for Best Supporting Actress for “Vamp” in 1987.
- Grammy Awards nomination for Best Long Form Music Video for her One Man Show in 1984.
- MTV Video Music Award nomination for Best Female Video for "Slave to the Rhythm" in 1986.