The State Fair of Texas is the annual state fair that takes place in Dallas every year. This fair is considered as the largest state fair in the United States with around three million or more people attending the fair each year. In 2010 around 2,618,500 people attended the fair. Almost all local schools and some businesses give one day off to their students/employees when the fair begins, giving everyone a chance to be a part of this largest state fair. This year the fair is expected to begin on 29 September - 22 October, 2016.
Texas State Fair History and Major Attractions
The first Texas state fair took place in 1886 at the historic Fair Park.
- A full blown auto show is the peculiarity of this fair. This has been a major attraction for the fair goers. Today many other events have become part of the fair, leaving the auto show just one o the major attractions at the fair.
- Big Tex, a talking fifty-two foot tall cowboy is another attraction that fascinates fair goers which was introduced in 1952. It is considered the symbol of the fair since then.
- The ferris wheel at the Texas state fair is considered the largest of its kind. This 212 feet tall wheel was introduced in 1985.
- Texas State fair hosts numerous food stalls that offer a variety of deep-fried foods such as the original corny dog, deep fried pork ribs, deep fried peanut butter-jelly-and-banana sandwiches, deep fried cheesecake etc.
- The Texas state fair livestock shows, carnival rides, music concerts and a huge variety of competitions.
- Miranda Lambert, Mary J. Blige, Weezer, The Commodores, Randy Travis were the headliners of the music concert. Texas State Fair concert lineup for 2013 is expected to be announced soon.