RHS London Flower Show

The RHS London Flower Show is known as ‘Great Spring Show’ until 1911. The RHS London Flower Show shifted to the Royal Chelsea Hospital for the event of RHS Chelsea Flower Show celebrations. 

The RHS London Flower Show has shifted to open-air three-acre gardens at Inner Temple.

The RHS London Flower Show has been held at Inner Temple since last time. The plants has displayed in two long exhibit areas. Spectators were appeared with hats and umbrellas.

Now, only one exhibition area with many small porches and shops spread around the grounds. The highs-spirited planting in 230ft long borders are appeared in the exhibit area. The exhibition area included with a wall-hanging multi-coloured dahlias, rudbeckias, heleniums, cosmos and asters over the patio.

In June 1908, Amateur Gardening Show reports, “a brilliant display of flowering and foliage plants as well as fruit trees and vegetables”. “It hardly seems credible that such results could have been achieved in a spring which has undoubtedly been one of the most unfavourable within recollection.”

A crowd of exhibitors will be displayed autumn blossoms from eucomis, gaura and clerodendrons to crocosmias, asters and Japanese anemones in good condition.

Many of the exhibitors were created momentous relations. The exhibitors displayed the Pennard Plants with heritage potatoes (Salad Blue), Arran Victory, Onion hoe, cucumber straightener and a grape storage bottle.  

The National Trust was maintained the Ascott Park. This Park is the Rothschilds’ farmer home. The Ascott Park shows myrtles, scented geraniums, and a conference pear tree. Leopold Rothschild displayed these plants in the flower show from 1897 – 1904. He gained more medals in that period.

Rothschild is one of the richest exhibitors in London. Sir Trevor Lawrence, RHS President handled a few of his owned-orchids into the first Inner Temple show. The Guernsey grower Raymond Evison displayed above 200 famous clematis varieties with the red-blossomed Clematis texensis. These red-blossomed Clematis texensis are known as ‘Sir Trevor Lawrence’ in 1890 after his presidency.

Raymond Evison’s 100-year-old displayed varieties are presently available on the gardens now.

A special attraction at the garden is Evison’s displayed C. ‘Jackmanii’ plant. The flower has very smoother in large, velvet-purple coloured. 150 years ago, the Woking nursery Jackmans bred the C. Jackmanii plant.

Raymond Evison says, “This was a tremendous breakthrough”. “It was the second hybrid to be bred in Europe and it is still hugely popular today. It is such a great plant for growing with roses.”

So many oldest varieties, rarely sighted blossoms like C. John Gould Veitch with pale-lilac double blossoms have not been seen now. 

In Guernsey, the attractive Clematis varieties will be displayed on May 2010.