The Muppet Christmas Carol was the feature film which ranked as the fourth one to cast "The Muppets". It was released in 1992. It is based on the novel of Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol". The film was directed by the son of Jim Henson, Brian.
- It was produced after the sad demise of great creator of the Muppets, Jim Henson .
- Brian took over the role of puppets of Kermit which was originally performed by Jim Henson when he was alive. He died in 1990.
Muppet Christmas Carols Information
Martin G. Baker
||A Christmas Carol by
Paul Williams (songs)
||Jim Henson Productions
||Walt Disney Pictures
||December 11, 1992
Muppet Christmas Carols Movie Synopsis
- It is a musical comedy version of a classic novel of Dickens "A Christmas Carol" which is featuring the Muppets.
- Brian, the son of Jim Henson, took over the responsibility of directing the movie- The Muppet Christmas Carol, after the unfortunate death of his father.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol is a slow-moving picturization of the Charles Dickens narration.
Miser Ebenezer Scrooge understands the true meaning of Christmas and reforms his merciless and money making gimmicks .In the movie, he is visited on the Christmas Eve by four Ghosts: his old business partners Jacob and Marley, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas.
Ebenezer Scrooge, was very reckless about Christmas and the joy the season brings. Working for the callous Ebenezer Scrooge is a very devoted and loyal subordinate Bob Cratchit (Kermit the Frog), who begs Scrooge for a day off for Christmas.
Scrooge grudgingly agrees and goes home on Christmas Eve filled with wrath at the holiday merrymakers. But then he is visited by the sprits of Christmas Past, Present, and Future, and Scrooge. When he revisited his regretful past, shameful present, and doomed future, he undergoes a transformation deep within his soul and becomes the most generous and commemorative person of town.
Muppet Christmas Carols Production
- This film is a well-adaptation or version of the original story.
- The film is intermingled with scenes of Gonzo playing Dickens who is the narrator here.
- He narrates along with the characters, rehearses most of original lines of the Dickens's novel. Because of the use of Muppets throughout the film, it has been a humorous touch on much of the story but still has a lesson to learn.
Muppet Christmas Carols Cast
- Michael Caine as Ebenezer Scrooge. Michael Caine was ultimately chosen for the role of Ebenezer Scrooge but David Hemmings, Ron Moody, David Warner, and George Carlin . also considered for the role of scrooge
- Jerry Nelson (voice) as Tiny Tim Crachit (Robin), Pig Gentleman, Penguin, Rat
- Pops, Ma Bear, Ghost of Christmas Present, Floyd, Jacob Marley (Statler), New Zealand, Mouse, Mr. Applegate.
- Steve Whitmire (voice) as Bob Crachit (Kermit the Frog), Bean Bunny, Beaker, Rizzo the Rat, Belinda Crachit, Sprocket the Dog, Beetle, Rat, Lips.
- Dave Goelz (voice) as Charles Dickens (The Great Gonzo), Betina Crachit, Rat, Zoot
- Robert Marley (Waldorf).
- Fozziewig (Fozzie Bear), Frank Oz (voice) as Emily Crachit (Miss Piggy), Headmaster of Junior High Graduates (Sam the Eagle), George the Janitor, Horse and Carrige Driver, Animal, Vegetable Peddler .
Muppet Christmas Carols Distribution
- This is the first and foremost Muppet film which is the production of The Walt Disney Company. Other than the release of the film in the theaters, the film is also available in a video formats at home.
- In Region one, the film was unveiled on VHS.
- It was released two times on DVD.
- The first DVD release was a full-screen release only, which happened on 2002.
- The film got released once again on DVD in the year 2005 during the occasion of Frog's the 50th anniversary celebration in combination with Kermit.
- This time the DVD comprised of both wide-screen and full-screen productions.
- Most likely the Muppets featured in the film would later be purchased by Disney.
Muppet Christmas Carols Reception
- This feature film got to compete with Lost in New York, Home Alone 2 and Disney's Aladdin.
- The film earned the profit of $27,281,507, and it is the domestic figure.
- So, like other Muppet films could not make much of its impact during its theatrical release. However, it became famous after it is released originally on VHS.
Muppet Christmas Carols Review Comments on the Film
- "An above-average Muppet movie": David Nusair Reel Film Reviews
- "The little green guy just isn't quite the same these days": MaryAnn Johanson Flick Filosopher
- "It all turns out to be quite touching as Muppet movies go." : Almar Haflidason BBC
"Strikes just the right balance of irony and sincerity...genuinely heartwarming, from its opening dedication to Henson and Hunt to its joy-to-the-world finale" : Peter Canavese
- Groucho Reviews
- "Good fun": Derek Adams
Christmas Celebrations Related Topics