2016 - Aug. 25 to Sept 5
2015 - Aug. 27 to Sept. 7
The Minnesota State Fair is the annual state fair of the U.S. state of Minnesota, held in St. Paul. This fair has gained fame of being the 2nd largest state fair in the U.S attracting people all around the world.
Venue: Minnesota State Fairgrounds,Minnesota city.
Date: This year the Minnesota State Fair is scheduled to run from August 25th to September 5th, 2016.
Slogan: "The Great Minnesota Get-Together”
The Minnesota State Fair was inaugurated in 1859. Since then this has been taking place every year as a traditional fun fest of Minnesota. Due to the Civil War and the Dakota War of 1862 the Minnesota State Fair got cancelled in 1861 and 1862 respectively.
Main Attractions at Minnesota State Fair
Minnesota State Fair hosts a variety of events drawing in people all around the world. Below mentioned are the major attractions at the fair.
- The creation of a butter sculpture.
- Livestock barns cover a major portion of the Fairgrounds displaying various farm animals. There will be livestock show competitions inside the specially arranged coliseum.
- The other main attraction at the State Fair is that it provides an opportunity to have a wide variety of regional foods.
- The fair hosts numerous shows such as comedy shows, product demonstrations, the State Fair Talent Contest and live entertainments including concerts.
- For many decades, Machinery Hill, a large area on the fairgrounds remained the venue for the exhibition of a variety of farm equipments in the world. However, the modern exhibitions have shifted its focus to cars, trucks, lawn mowers, and motorbikes of various companies.
- Live broadcast of Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion.
- An annual art exhibition of works that are selected after a juried competition. Works of art includes watercolour, oil, and acrylic paintings, photographs, sculptures, pastels, ceramics, glass, textiles etc.
- A variety of competitions related to needlecraft, garment-making, wood-working, models, painting, doll-making, taxidermy, stamp-collecting, scrapbooking, baking and food preservation makes the fair lively.
- Exhibitions displaying the designs, construction of an eco-friendly house and a rain garden.
- There will be exhibits addressing important issues such as climate change, energy conservation, renewable energy, bio diesel fuel and vehicles and organic farming.
- Live music programmes by featured performers including REO Speedwagon, Boston, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Def Leppard, Styx, Foreigner, Bob Dylan, Santana, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Carrie Underwood, Sons of Sylvia, Craig Morgan, Tim McGraw, Rush, KISS and "Weird Al" Yankovic. This year’s concert line-up is expected to be announced in June.
- Live entertainments at the fair include 70 bands on 5 stages.
- A carnival-like setting known as the Midway hosts a number of the rides at the State Fair.