Flowers are an important aspect of daily life and have several in indoor and outdoor decoration, therapy for invalids. Besides, several species of flowers have medicinal properties. In this section we shall take a look at alpinia flowers which are a very popular species of flower throughout the world.
The other name for alpinia flowers is “shell ginger” as these flowers resemble sea shells when they are in bloom. It is also known as “red ginger”. It is an evergreen perennial found in the tropical regions of East Asia. They grow in bunches to a height of eight to ten feet. The actual flowers are funnel-shaped and may have white or pink petals.
Alpinia flowers are common to East Asia. The other two varieties of red ginger are known as Jungle king and Jungle Queen These are found in Puerto Rico, Hawaii and in some countries in Central America. It also grows in Samoa where it known as “teuila” and is the national flower of that country. Due to the warm climate of Florida, this flower is grown there.
Alpinia Flower Meaning and Symbolism
White alpinia flowers are considered as representations of matters of the heart and true love. These flowers are symbolic of fiery passion. The main predominant theme surrounding them is strength. Other symbolisms include diversity in personality and endless prosperity. At times, these flowers are given in the place of roses.
Facts about Alpinia
- No part of the alpinia plant is edible, even though it is linked with the word “ginger”.
- The plants are propagated from big rhizomes and the flowers bloom on the end of long stems.
- These flowers are very popularly used in flower arrangements in Hawaii.
- Alpinia flowers as well as the leaves are very striking due to their distinctly tropical appearance.
- These flowers are very hardy so they are favored for sending overseas as they are likely to last longer.
- Alpinia plants grow up to a height of 15 feet, but the average height is about 6 to 7 feet.
- An interesting fact about alpinia is that the fresh plants emerge from the centre of the existing flowers, which results in the flowers touching the ground.
- These flowers usually bloom during the summer.
Cultivation of Alpinia Flowers
- Alpinia is planted during the months of September and October.
- Alpinia flowers can be grown in full sun but will also thrive in partially shaded areas too.
- The plant needs at least 68°F temperature for healthy growth.
- Moisture is another important precondition of this plant, and high levels of humidity are a must.
- The soil should be kept damp all times but never soggy.
- The alpinia plant is fairly resistant to pests and fungi.
- To avoid development of legginess, the plant needs to be pruned regularly. If growing in a pot it should be divided once in 2 years.
- Alpinia can be propagated by division of the rhizome or through seeds.